Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As the Battery Engineer, you’ll be an integral part of the Battery Engineering Team where you’ll contribute to the design, testing, and final validation of the battery system. You will be working with the primary battery systems engineer to test candidate cells, design future battery systems, support existing platforms, and design and test battery management system behavior and performance. You will be a part of doing the initial programming and behavior development of new battery systems while testing and optimizing the battery management algorithms.
You will be one of the internal battery subject matter experts for all battery related knowledge requirements, advising the other vehicle engineering teams as necessary for current and future projects.
- Hands on testing
- Flashing Test Units
- Performing verification of functionality
- Participation in DFMEA exercises
- Supporting data analysis of cell and pack testing
- Designing SOH and SOC algorithms
- Designing BMS SW strategies
- Writing SW and HW test cases and plans
- Supporting certification requirements review and testing
- Spec’ing equipment for development and resting of batteries
- Continual-improvement engineering
- Programming and scripting skills
- Understanding and interest in li-Ion batteries
- Experience coding for battery management systems
- Experience working with suppliers
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface
- Familiarity with Vector CANoe / CANalyzer
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience in Battery or EV systems development
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Software or Electrical Engineering
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driven personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Multi-tasking and self-starting
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.