Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a vehicle validation engineer, you’ll be collaborating with the vehicle design engineering team and validation lead to execute test plans, collaborate on DFMEA, DVP’s and test methods to support development and validate vehicles for safe and reliable product launches.
What You'll Do:
- Hands-on mechanical, electrical, and software testing
- Help identify issues at both the software and hardware level
- Co-develop requirements and test cases for electrical and mechanical systems
- Design and perform test plans to ensure full vehicle software validation and real-world reliability/durability
- Be customer centric to understand our unique customer use profile and turn that into test cases
- Provide feedback to the development team to improve the design
- Develop/acquire, maintain and operate test equipment and infrastructure.
- Evaluate field issues and propose solutions – design, mfg. process, supplier quality, operations
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in design verification/process validation testing
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions.
- Multi-tasking, self-starting and high sense of urgency to complete tasks
- SAE competition experience preferred but not required
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- Experience with DAQs and various transducers: accelerometers, loadcells, etc
- Very hands-on: can perform basic wiring, use various hand and powered tools
- Machine shop experience preferred: lathe, mill, grinders, drill presses, etc
- Experience working with suppliers/vendors
- Experience with 3D CAD
- Understanding of DVP&R and DFMEA documents
- Understanding of mechanical vibration/shock, component mating/unmating cycling, electrical high current/temperature rise, IP sealing, thermals shock, humidity, salt fog/mist, and EMC tests
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T.
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface
- Familiarity with Vector CANoe / CANalyzer
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.