Powertrain Controls Engineer
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
The Vehicle Engineering team is looking to add a Powertrain Controls Engineer to assist with top level vehicle behavior and dynamics design and verification.
- Develop and verify powertrain control algorithms
- First point of contact for vehicle control behavior issues
- Develop component, system, and vehicle-level virtual models
- Rapidly iterate designs through simulation to achieve desired vehicle attributes
- Deep understanding and experience of vehicle dynamics theory and application
- Knowledge of multibody simulation of vehicle attributes
- Develop models and tune vehicle systems including braking, stability, driveline dynamics, tires
- Strong expertise with Matlab/Simulink model-based design and automatic code generation
- Experience with developing simulation plant models in Simulink
- Experience with vehicle algorithm development through simulation, test data acquisition and analysis, or on-vehicle prototype testing and debugging controls issues in vehicle
- Calibrating simulation model with physical test results to reduce modeling error
- State estimation and sensor modeling techniques
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field with 2+ years of experience.
- Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace, automotive, or similar environment
- Good knowledge in Vehicle Electrical Architecture - CAN/LIN/Ethernet. Experience with CANape,CANalayzer,VX1000, and SPI communication tools
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.