Back End Engineer
New York, NY or Denver, CO
Engineering – Back End
At Bitly, we value our community and our culture. We are actively looking for team members who align with our vision, mission and values.
Together we believe in an internet you can see across. We optimize the link so you can own your customer experience.
Bitly is seeking Engineers with a focus on backend development to help improve and expand the services that power all of our products.
Does API Design make you excited? Are you up to the challenge of building scalable, robust, distributed systems? Do you see an opportunity in building tools to help people understand the world around them? Are you intrigued by big data and the opportunity to work on a product with billions of users clicking hundreds of millions of links every month? Bitly might be the right place for you.
We have a variety of backend opportunities available. Some work on cross-functional scrum/product teams aligned with one of the core pillars of our product organization; Core and Growth. These engineers will be focused primarily on feature work and enhancements while contributing to other housekeeping. This role reports to the lead on the scrum team.
Another opportunity works on the infrastructure and DevOps scrum team. Team responsibilities include the health and maintenance of the cloud infrastructure, re-architectures of major micro-services core to the product, and developing tooling to aid the rest of the engineering organization. This role reports to the Director of DevOps.
In addition to those roles, we’re always looking for engineers with an interest in big data sets and system design to work as part of our Data scrum team. Data solutions engineers will work with experts in Machine Learning, Data Science, Engineering, and Data to build products, services and infrastructure to better understand, query, and secure large amounts of data. This role reports to the Data Engineering Lead.
- Draw from previous engineering at-scale experience to influence and steer improvements within our multi-office Engineering organization.
- Design and build large-scale, distributed, highly available, well-tested, and easily managed services.
- Create, manage, and improve web APIs that clearly, accurately, and efficiently provide clients with the data they need.
- Work with people throughout the company to understand the goals, needs, and priorities of systems and turn that understanding into a specific plan of attack.
- Use a variety of tools and languages including Go, Python, Hadoop, MySQL, and more.
- 2+ years of engineering experience.
- Thorough production experience and comfort using a language such as Golang, Python, Java, C# or Node. js. (Golang preferred)
- A solid background in writing understandable, testable, and efficient code.
- A good understanding of how to design robust and scalable services.
- Familiarity with relevant tools and technologies and stays up to date with ongoing changes and advancements.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and to other parts of the organization.
- Intimate knowledge of how web protocols, clients, and servers work.
- Ability to identify and communicate the maintainability, development time, operational cost, and user experience trade-offs of different approaches and solutions.
- Experience with and opinions about automated testing.
- Ability to take initiative in addressing issues or seeking support from fellow team members.
- Experience using a flavor of version control—we use git and Github to collaborate and manage pull requests.
- A bachelors in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Nobody wins unless everybody wins.
- >(!=) We strive for excellence in all we do. We care.
- Knowledge is power. We are curious. We strive to discover new things and share them with the world.
- Do or do not; there is no try. We will do great things. We will take risks. We will make it happen.
- This land is our land. We are in this together, and we are all owners.
- RESPECT. We treat our teammates, customers and partners with integrity and value the relationships that we build.
- Competitive Salary + Stock Options
- Comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance offered (all LGBT friendly)
- 401k with up to 4% employer match
- One Medical membership; doctors you can text, call or email 24/7 + expert insurance guidance
- Voluntary Legalshield and IDShield for your protection
- Unlimited vacation, personal time, and work from home policies
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity and parental leave for growing families
- Mothers’ room available
- Company sponsored conference speaking and attendance
- Snacks, drinks, and weekly catered lunches
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Gorgeous new offices in New York’s Flatiron, Denver’s Union Station, and San Francisco's SOMA district
- Quarterly Hack week
- Company sponsored volunteering opportunities
- Dog and bike friendly
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Bitly also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Bitly.