Back End Engineer, Platform
New York, NY or Denver, CO
Engineering – Back End
At Bitly, our mission is to empower businesses to create trusted, powerful, recognizable links that maximize the impact of every digital initiative. We are also proud of our community and our culture, and we are actively looking for team members who align with our vision, mission, and values.
As a Platform Engineer, you will focus on backend system development to improve and expand the services that power all of our products. You’ll work closely with the DevOps team to expand and maintain the health and efficiency of our cloud infrastructure, you'll re-architect main microservices core to the Bitly product, and you'll develop tooling to aid the rest of the Engineering organization.
What You'll Do
- Draw from previous engineering at-scale experience to influence and steer improvements within our multi-office Engineering organization
- Design and build large-scale, distributed, highly available, well-tested, and easily managed services
- Create, manage, and improve web APIs that clearly, accurately, and efficiently provide clients with the data they need with a variety of tools and languages including Go, Python, Hadoop, MySQL, and more
- Work with people throughout the company to understand the goals, needs, and priorities of systems and turn that understanding into a specific plan of attack
Who You Are
- You have 2-5 years of engineering experience with a good understanding of how to design robust and scalable services
- You have a solid background in writing understandable, testable, and efficient code in Golang, Python, Java, C# or Node.js (Golang is preferred)
- You are familiar with relevant tools and technologies, and have a drive to stay up-to-date with ongoing changes and advancements
- You can clearly communicate technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and to other parts of the organization
- You have experience using a flavor of version control—we use git and Github to collaborate and manage pull requests
- You have at least a bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience with Go and/or Python
- Prior experience with GCP and specifically BigQuery (or AWS/Redshift) is a huge plus
- A love of Scrum and an interest in helping the team develop agreements and processes around that methodology
- Startup experience
- Nobody wins unless everybody wins.
- >(!=) We strive for excellence in all we do. We care.
- Knowledge is power. We are curious. We strive to discover new things and share them with the world.
- Do or do not; there is no try. We will do great things. We will take risks. We will make it happen.
- This land is our land. We are in this together, and we are all owners.
- RESPECT. We treat our teammates, customers and partners with integrity and value the relationships that we build.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Bitly also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Bitly.