Back End Engineer, Data
New York, NY or Denver, CO
Engineering – Back End
At Bitly, our mission is to empower businesses to create trusted, powerful, recognizable links that maximize the impact of every digital initiative. We are also proud of our community and our culture, and we are actively looking for team members who align with our vision, mission and values.
As a Backend Engineer on our Data Services Innovation Group, you will work with cutting edge experts in Machine Learning, Engineering, and Data to build products and services that are unique and exciting. This role can be located in Bitly's Denver, New York, or San Francisco office and may involve up to 10% travel.
You will focus on backend development to help improve and expand the services that power all of our products. You’ll work closely with the DevOps team to expand and maintain the health and maintenance of our cloud infrastructure, to re-architect the major micro-services core to the product, and develop tooling to aid the rest of the engineering organization.
What You'll Do
- Build and maintain data pipelines, moving and transforming petabytes of data using GCP’s Dataproc and BigQuery, as well as internal services
- Research new, state-of-the-art tools and processes for managing, transforming, and analyzing data - and then help implement them
- Update the core Bitly product to gather new categories of data
- Work closely with data analysts to create proof-of-concept reports and analysis, directly contributing to new business for the division
- Use a variety of tools and languages including Go, Python, Bash, SQL, BigQuery, Dataproc, and more
Who You Are
- You have 2-5 years of engineering experience
- You have a solid background in writing understandable, testable, and efficient code
- You are familiar with relevant tools and technologies, and have a drive to stay up-to-date with ongoing changes and advancements
- You can clearly communicate technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and to other parts of the organization
- You have experience using a flavor of version control—we use git and Github to collaborate and manage pull requests
- Experience with Go and/or Python
- Prior experience with GCP and specifically BigQuery (or AWS/Redshift) are a huge plus
- A love of Scrum and an interest in helping the team develop agreements and processes around that methodology
- Startup experience
- Nobody wins unless everybody wins.
- >(!=) We strive for excellence in all we do. We care.
- Knowledge is power. We are curious. We strive to discover new things and share them with the world.
- Do or do not; there is no try. We will do great things. We will take risks. We will make it happen.
- This land is our land. We are in this together, and we are all owners.
- RESPECT. We treat our teammates, customers and partners with integrity and value the relationships that we build.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Bitly also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Bitly.