Engineering Manager - Developer Building Blocks
This position is based in our Seville office. However, remote candidates within a collaborative timezone and with a successful track record of working offsite will be considered, as well.
Bitnami’s mission is to bring awesome software to everyone. Every month, 1MM+ developers come to our site to download and launch their favorite language runtimes and applications across all major public clouds and container platforms, including AWS, Google, Azure and Docker.
We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who will report to our Director of Engineering. You will lead our engineering team, focused on offering building blocks to developers. Our offerings range from turnkey solutions for components (such as multi-node deployment templates for databases, caching or message brokers) to trusted containers on which to base their applications (such as NodeJS, PHP or Python). The perfect person for this role has a DevOps and microservices background that comes from practical experience, a broad perspective of the cloud industry and where it is headed and experience building solutions that scale.
Your Role With the Team
- Responsible for line management for a team of engineers and a technical lead
- Maintain ultimate accountability for the delivery and quality of engineering products from the engineering team
- Drive and uphold the morale, motivation and career development of the engineering team
- Own the recruiting process for the engineering team to identify, recruit and onboard top technical talent and assist other teams with the same process
- Ensure that all team members are performing adequately and manage with low performance effectively
- Recognize, encourage and reward high performers
Your Role With the Project
- Collaborate with product management and other stakeholders to determine focus for each iteration
- Maintain a groomed and prioritized backlog of features and strategic priorities
- Actively and proactively remove roadblocks that may be keeping the engineering team from achieving peak effectiveness
- Work closely with major cloud vendors to bring cutting-edge products to market
Your Role with the Product
- Be a leader within Bitnami and externally in best practices for deployment of production-ready microservices applications on Kubernetes, blended with multi-node persistence database/storage services.
- Represent the engineering team and the product both internally to Bitnami and externally to customers and partners
- Communicate clear goals and problems to engineering so that they can exercise judgement and autonomy in achieving those goals and solving those problems
- Continuously update, maintain and communicate a roadmap for the engineering team
- Collaborate with other managers to turn Bitnami’s vision and strategy into actionable guidance for development teams
- Work with other team managers to ensure that all teams are working together effectively
- Maintain effective relationships with related discipline leaders across the company and ensure that stakeholders are collaborating with the engineering team to accomplish their goals
Our Ideal Addition to the Team
- Passionately believes in our mission to bring server applications to everyone
- Thinks strategically with a pioneer’s approach to problem-solving
- Has exceptional people skills and a proven track record for building high-performance software engineering teams
- Understands how to inspire and coach a technical team from senior engineers to new college graduates
- Collaborates and works alongside other business functions to set priorities and goals
- Confident working within a dynamic engineering-led culture that values both execution and technical excellence
- Communicates persuasively and effectively to influence company strategy at the highest level
- MS Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years experience in software engineering
- 5+ years in engineering leadership roles
- Start-up or infrastructure-related experience preferred
- Experience leading a DevOps team responsible for distribute architecture
We are bootstrapped, profitable and growing. We have offices in San Francisco and Seville, along with a diverse remote team. We were part of Y Combinator's Winter 2013 batch.
Learn more about our team and what it's like to work at Bitnami by visiting the About Us and Careers pages on our website.
Bitnami is an equal opportunity employer.