Senior Backend Developer
This position is specifically a remote role. Want more insight on what it's like to be a part of a distributed team at Bitnami? Take a look at this article, written by our own Director of Engineering, Victor Tuson Palau.
Bitnami is on a mission to bring awesome software to everyone. We offer a library of popular server applications and development environments -- including WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal, SugarCRM, Jenkins and more -- that can be installed with one click, either on a desktop, in a virtual machine or hosted in the cloud. Over 1 million applications are deployed per month through Bitnami and our partner marketplaces.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to extend our success as we simplify software deployment across all major public clouds and container platforms, including AWS, Google, Azure, VMware and Docker. The ideal candidate has a systems and Web development background that comes from practical experience. You will influence team direction and be responsible for driving the design and implementation of Web applications for our launchpad platform.
The ideal candidate has a systems and Web development background that comes from practical experience. You will influence team direction and be responsible for driving the design and implementation of Web applications for our launchpad platform. You must bring an understanding of the IT business (typically gained by having built or worked extensively with a private or public cloud); a broad perspective of the cloud industry and where it is headed; and experience in building solutions that scale.
- Work directly with cloud vendors to evaluate their cloud offering and implement integrations to deliver Bitnami software on their cloud. Our customers include AWS, Google, Microsoft and VMware
- Refine the overall software architecture and define/drive improvements
- Be actively involved in team-wide discussions about software best practices
- Be the technical expert that coaches and trains junior members of the engineering team
- Identify issues, resolve bugs and write high-quality engineering documentation
- Keep your team unblocked by performing timely and useful code reviews
- Ensure that your code base and your team’s code base is testable and tested
- Take responsibility for continuous improvements in the coding and development of your own coding practices as well as of your team’s practices
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Build Web applications that deliver a friction-free experience for end customers of each cloud to deploy VMs or containers running Bitnami software
- Manage existing relationships with cloud vendors and fix bugs/implement new features in existing cloud integrations
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science preferred; demonstrable understanding of systems, algorithms, and OO design required
- 4+ years of experience building production-deployed web-based applications
- Proficient knowledge of a back-end programming language (i.e. Ruby, NodeJS, Python, etc.) and code versioning tools
- Experience in designing the overall architecture of the web applications
- Experience in implementing robust set of services and APIs to power web applications
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Knowledge about data migration, transformation, and scripting
- Integration of the front-end and back-end aspects of the web application
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Exceptional organization skills
- Proven ability to prioritize work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Strong familiarity with Agile development
- Past experience managing relationships with software vendors a plus
- API-level AWS, Google Cloud Platform, VMware vCloud and Azure expertise a plus
Remote Role Requirements
- Great communication skills. You can articulate your thoughts and ideas through writing, maintain open interactions and provide constructive feedback.
- Self-driven approach. You will be part of an engineering squad with clear objectives but you will also be expected to drive improvements in software products and processes, as you identify areas for improvement.
- Experience and proven success working remotely. We are looking for candidates that are aware of both the benefits and potential drawbacks of working remotely, and who know how to successfully navigate them
- Note: We generally only hire candidates working from timezones that are within 3 hours of UTC (+/-).
Bitnami is a distributed engineering company with offices in San Francisco, USA and Seville, Spain. With team members also in Australia, Vietnam, UK, Italy, Washington DC ,Uruguay and more, we've created an incredibly enjoyable and productive distributed environment.
We are bootstrapped, profitable and growing. Bitnami was also part of Y Combinator's Winter 2013 batch.
Learn more about our team and what it's like to work at Bitnami by visiting the About Us and Careers pages on our website.
Bitnami is an equal opportunity employer.