Improving is a 15+ year technology management and consulting services firm deeply rooted in our commitment to establishing trust. We live out our values of Excellence, Dedication, and Involvement by providing each of our 1500 members across 16 locations on two continents a variety of opportunities and programs to grow in a way that's befitting their unique talents and interests, while supporting each one's unique path in life.
Improving Vancouver’s data and cloud team has been building strong relationships and expert technical knowledge with clients such as start-ups and established multi-nationals since 2017. From architecture to infrastructure to low level connector, we innovate and build out the world's data ecosystems. We value kindness, engagement, a resourceful perspective, and fresh ideas. We thrive on crafting technical excellence.
LEARN WHAT Improving Vancouver (Formerly Bit Quill) DOES through this video primer!: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqXBkW2BgxfieYrB7rCr4Ku2mxPzaqIVO
The Development Manager interview process is both discussion and demonstration in which you can tell us about your unique management style for teams and projects, and also show us how you would work with our clients to manage expectations. We are all about balance, so expect rich discussion with various team members, not brain teasers, about how you balance managing small to medium sized teams, with managing the customer’s expectations through typical project challenges.
Culture is huge for us so expect an exceptional onboarding experience where you'll get to know everybody in the company, get paired up with a buddy, matched with your peer group for sharing and learning, introduced to our various internal programs for refreshing and strengthening your leadership and customer facing skills, and work with your manager to make sure you are supported in your way of work and in your personalized career Growth Plan. We grow when our members grow, therefore your insights, your learning, your growth are critically important to us and we look forward to growing together!
MEET SOME OF US via this YouTube playlist!:
What's the day to day like?:
• Manage one to three projects from kickoff to final delivery using an Agile approach
• Provide input on team composition, compensation and staffing decisions
• Build collaborative customer relationships and discover ways to add value
• Manage customer expectations and aim for a high level of satisfaction
• Facilitate strong alignment between customers expectations and the project team's goals
• Author concise and precise project documents
• Own your project's SDLC including hands-on technical oversight at each stage
• Problem solve challenging software problems, figure out options, and propose solutions
Technical Acumen Responsibilities
- Technical oversight including accountability for design, implementation, testing, documentation and overall technical quality
- Learn about project technologies to provide guidance to project team and customer
- Ensure projects are following SDLC best practices.
- Ensure teams meet programming standards by following production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards
Delivery & Execution
- Exceed expectations with clients
- Use clear and timely communication to ensure the team and clients are aligned
- Manage one to three projects from kickoff to final delivery using an Agile approach
- Provide input in scoping, time estimation, and resource assignment
- Proactively track tasks and progress to drive projects
- Guide the team, and independently, to deliver results
- Own the SDLC with an eye to delivering quality software on time
- Create opportunities for team members to grow within their Growth Plans
- Ensure ongoing growth through frequent check-ins with each team member
- Commit to, maintain and champion our best practices, knowledge base, policies and procedures
- Coach team members in technical, delivery, and leadership skills
- Identify root causes and posit sustainable solutions
- Represent the team to other departments via project updates and at prioritization meetings
- Collaborate with Talent Acquisition to grow both the size and number of teams
- Participate in the development of an inclusive, helpful, fun environment
- B. Sc. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent relevant experience
- An ability to present and discuss ideas in a collaborative way
- An ability to communicate concisely and precisely in written form
- Personally enjoys leading others to achieve really cool technology solutions
- Passionate about learning new technology
- Ability to travel to the US
- 5+ years managing or leading 10+ developers
- Proficiency in Java
Nice to Haves
- Proficiency in other languages
- Experience providing technical leadership throughout all stages of the the SDLC
- Proven record of successful on-time delivery of high-quality projects
- Experience in databases and database connectivity
- Experience with Big Data and/or NoSQL experience
- Experience with AWS, Azure, and/or GCP
Strong employee relationships are key to delivering to our partners as well as to creating a foundation for a truly welcoming and nurturing company culture. We have worked together to shape our work environment from the ground up, and value the culture that has resulted from it.
We are honoured to live and work on the traditional and unceded territories of the qiqéyt (Qayqayt) First Nation as well as all Coastal Salish Peoples including the ʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh).