Senior Software Engineer (NYC, SF or US Remote)
It’s not very often that a new asset class is born. Nevertheless, we’re witnessing exactly that with the rise of crypto taking place right now, as we speak, in the age of the internet. Over just the last 4 years, crypto has evolved from an embryonic $50B market to a young but growing $1T+ today. At Bitwise, we believe that crypto has reached a turning point, and is headed north of $10T over the next few years. Our goal at Bitwise is to help busy, mainstream investors understand and access the opportunities emerging in the new cryptocurrency asset class.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual to join the engineering team to help Bitwise scale and our clients succeed. As Bitwise’s next software engineer, you'll be able to have a major impact from day one, within our small, yet quickly growing business. The products and systems you build will touch all parts of the organization and will give you the opportunity to understand our business deeply, which is rare. You need not worry about bureaucracy at Bitwise — we pride ourselves on moving fast and being nimble. We’re a tight-knit, multi-disciplinary team and you’ll be on the ground floor of what we’re building.
You’ll also have the opportunity to learn a lot about crypto along the way. Bitwise is in a unique position where we can exert influence and shape the direction of innovation in the crypto space. We want our engineering team to know the ins and outs of the latest developments in crypto so that we can have an informed opinion as a company and directly participate through avenues like governance, research, and education.
What You Will Do
- You’ll build products from the ground up — from data infrastructure to backend APIs to UIs. You will be able to manage your own work by deciding what needs to be built, communicating with stakeholders directly, and managing your own time. You will be given the autonomy to get work done efficiently without unnecessary bureaucracy.
- As a member of a small team, you will contribute meaningfully to building our engineering organization. This includes playing an important role in making technical decisions, defining Bitwise’s engineering standards, and determining best practices. We are not set in our ways and are always willing to explore new technologies and tools.
- You will have the opportunity to experience rapid growth and work on the highest impact initiatives within the company. In the process, you will shape product and engineering strategy at the company.
- You will have the opportunity to spend time learning about crypto and building expertise in a nascent, rapidly changing, and growing industry.
- You will wear many hats, contribute to many projects, and adapt to the needs of a growing organization.
Who You Are
- The idea of being early on a small team where things change rapidly and everyone pitches in excites you.
- Your style is like ours: high energy, positive, caring, deliberate, self-aware, curious, and open-minded, inclined to take ownership to get the best outcome but happy to transfer or share ownership with others. You’re proactive in pursuing what you want, you take pride in your ability to communicate and connect with others, and you’re always looking to improve.
- You’re an analytical thinker. You love detail, but also don’t let preparation get in the way of action.
- You are a great communicator, in writing and conversation, and can convey details with clarity and coherence.
- You care about relationships, both within the team and with external partners. You want to understand others, to help others understand you, to enjoy interactions, to form career-long partnerships, and to be “best-in-class.”
- Our sites and web servers are built with React and Node. Index calculation-related backend is written in Scala using Spark and Kinesis. Research-related analytical scripts are written in Python. Databases used are Firebase, MongoDB, and Postgres. Most of our infrastructure runs on Heroku and AWS. You are comfortable working across the stack, have experience using some of these, and are enthusiastic to learn those you’re less familiar with.
- You have 3+ years of experience in software development.
- Though not needing to be an expert, you’re interested in learning about crypto and investments and enthusiastic about making it part of your career.
- You have the willingness and enthusiasm to learn new topics and grow with a rapidly evolving company and space.
What We Offer
- Compensation: $140,000-$200,000 salary + equity
- Equity compensation as a component of all offers
- Health insurance, including dental and vision plans
- Health & dependent care Flexible Spending Account
- Company funded 401K plan, no matching required
- Unlimited PTO
- 10 paid company-wide holidays
- Pending COVID, office spaces in San Francisco and New York
- Meals and snacks provided in office
- Paid company cell phone or monthly stipend
- Bitwise “Buddy” Program (30 day new hire program)
- Annual birthday and anniversary gifts
- Company-wide events
If what we’re doing excites you, and the role looks like a fit, we’d love to hear from you and explore you joining as an early member of the Bitwise team —
Bitwise is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team of people with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. It is the policy of Bitwise to ensure equal opportunity. All candidates are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.