San Francisco, California
Bitwise Asset Management is dedicated to helping professional investors—financial advisors, family offices, and institutions—gain safe, liquid, and high-quality exposure to cryptoassets. We are a pioneer in the space, having created the world’s first crypto index fund, and continue to break new ground through innovative product leadership, research, and sales and marketing activities.
At the core of what we do, however, is education. The truth is that there is a yawning gap between the reality of what crypto really is and the level of understanding most investors have. If Bitwise is going to succeed at its mission, it’s going to have to help close that gap.
That’s where the Research Analyst position comes in. Your job is to create content that bridges mainstream investors and the modern crypto marketplace. You have to be able to understand the complex arcana of consensus mechanisms, cold storage custody, and the crypto market structures … and then explain those things in ways that the average investors can actually understand.
The direct manager for this role will be Matt Hougan, Global Head of Research at Bitwise. Matt is one of the foremost experts on ETFs and a well-known thought leader in the cryptoasset industry. Prior to Bitwise, Matt was CEO of ETF.com, the leading data and analysis provider for ETFs, CEO of InsideETF, the largest ETF conference in the world, Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Indexing, and Co-Author of the CFA Institute’s monograph on ETFs. Matt is a contributor to Forbes and WSJ, and a frequent commentator in Barron’s, Bloomberg, CNBC, FA Magazine, and Institutional Investor.
The right person for this role has:
- The Desire To Matter In The Crypto Ecosystem: This is a public role. We want you to build an audience and a voice. More than that, we want you to become a recognized and respected thought leader in the space. That means engaging people (respectfully) on social media, establishing connections, and finding new ways to get your content heard. If you spend three years at this job and aren't one of the best-known minds researching crypto ... if you haven't created new insights that have changed the ways people think about crypto ... then we've failed.
- Multiple Years Of Actual Writing Experience: This is primarily a writing position. You should be able to turn out content that is ready for public consumption.
- A Deep Interest In Both Crypto And The Broader Financial Markets: Bitwise is not just a crypto firm; we’re also an asset management firm. Our clients have lots on their minds. The right person for the job wants to write about crypto, but wants to do so for a traditional financial audience.
- A Willingness To Embrace Complexity: Crypto is often the land of hyperbole and jargon, with bombastic shouting on both sides of the (ahem) ledger. We’re looking for nuance and simplicity. You should be able to accept that things aren’t always simple and be able to understand and articulate both sides of an argument.
- The Ability To Handle Numbers: Yes, this is primarily a writing position, but you’re going to be working with numbers. Standard deviation, volatility, Sharpe ratios, downside semi-variance … math is not a four-letter word.
- The Desire To Build Something Significant: The team at Bitwise is pretty unique. We’re on a mission to build an iconic institution in the new crypto asset class. We’re looking for people who want to do the same.
Responsibilities you'll have:
- Write weekly market updates covering the most important developments in crypto.
- Contribute to our iconic 10-page monthly investor letters.
- Write one-page briefs on big market movements and industry-changing events.
- Answer client questions from sales, often in writing.
- Contribute to Forbes columns.
- Build evergreen research content that help the masses understand why crypto is important.
- Contribute to our bitcoin ETF related market structure research and help us launch the first bitcoin ETF.
- Contribute to new product research.
- Build long-form slide decks for speaking engagements and industry reports.
- Follow twitter, news, research, thought pieces, and project developments.
- Connect with the crypto analyst community and thought leaders.
BACKGROUND ON BITWISE
Bitwise Asset Management is the leading provider of index and beta funds for the crypto space.
In 2017, the firm created the world’s first crypto index fund and today manages multiple funds serving high net worth individuals, financial advisors, family offices, multi-family offices, private bankers, endowments, foundations, and institutions. Based in San Francisco, the Bitwise team combines deep knowledge of technology with decades of experience in traditional asset management and indexing — coming from firms including Facebook, Google, Wealthfront, BlackRock, Deutsche, J.P. Morgan, IndexIQ, and ETF.com.
Bitwise is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Khosla Ventures, General Catalyst Partners, and Blockchain Capital as well as renowned individuals such as Naval Ravikant, Elad Gil, David Sacks, Keith Rabois, Ric Edelman, Alison Davis, and many others. Bitwise is a frequent commentator on crypto in the press, and has been profiled in CNBC, Barron’s, Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, CoinDesk, and more. Bitwise’s mission is to help mainstream professional investors understand and benefit from the new crypto asset class.
For more information, visit www.bitwiseinvestments.com