USAID BFS Digital Communications Lead
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Who we are:
We are BIXAL, a mission-driven organization determined to leave a positive impact on the
lives of people everywhere. And we believe in the potential of our government to deliver
on this mission at a scale like nothing else in the world.
We believe everyone deserves an effective government, and we believe that if we can
optimize the customer experience in this space for our clients and partners, the potential
is absolutely limitless. So we partner with leading Federal agencies to conceive and deliver
powerful data-driven customer experiences through holistic digital and communications
solutions. We offer an array of strategic and digital services including customer-experience
design, data science, analytics, cloud computing and more, but digital innovation alone
does not define us.
BIXAL is more than an agency. It’s a methodology.
It’s a people-absolutely-first approach to solving complex organizational challenges that
gracefully balances cutting-edge technical chops with a deep sense of empathy and
understanding. We relentlessly focus on outcomes, and weave it all together with a unique
agility that permeates across every single step we take.
We bring a high standard and a different creative energy to our Federal clients, and our
wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible. BIXAL unites different people with
different perspectives from all over the world. And then we provide them with an open and
empowered environment where solutions flourish and collaboration is king.
This position will be based in downtown, Washington DC.
What will you do?
Bixal is seeking a Digital Communications Lead for a 5-year activity designed by USAID’s Bureau of Food Security (BFS). The goal is to provide USAID’s international and local Missions, Operating Units (OU'S), and Implementing Partners (IPs) with the evidence, capacity, tools, technical assistance, and/or services required to design, implement, monitor, and/or evaluate market systems and private sector engagement activities. The desire is that such findings will result in more inclusive and resilient agricultural-led economic growth, improved food security and nutrition, and/or increased incomes for the poor.
The Digital Communications Lead will support the CLA portfolio and lead the creation/implementation of the communications strategy.
1. Lead the digital communications component of the project.
2. Meet routinely with supervisor and leadership to provide inputs in the design and implementation of knowledge products to meet project needs.
3. Provide best practices and technical recommendations regarding digital communications to promote knowledge sharing and learning within and across USAID’s international and local partners, Missions, OU'S and IP'S.
4. Provide capacity building and training on the use of digital communication tools.
5. Develop strategy to increase uptake of digital products and content for digital applications.
This position is contingent upon award.
- Conduct a digital landscape analysis to define needs, identify gaps, and develop a comprehensive approach for integrated digital communications and platform management.
- Lead the creation of highly effective online marketing programs, potentially to include email campaigns, newsletters, blogs, social media and news sites, search engine marketing and search engine optimization, media outreach and more, to work effectively with a variety of market actors who have varying incentives to learn continuously about each context and its underlying market dynamic.
- Assemble and manage teams from a technical staffing pool to support implementation of a communications, learning dissemination strategy and capacity development needs.
- Analyze audience needs and work to collect, organize and write compelling content for stakeholders' critical communication initiatives.
- Write content and edit content written by others with an eye toward digital audiences.
- Analyze existing website content and make recommendations for improvement.
- Organize, edit, update and publish content through content management systems.
- Work closely with team members to ensure proper content classification using client systems, optimize website content for search engines and improve overall traffic to client sites.
- Work in collaboration with team members to monitor and stay current on the most up-to-date website resources and new developments in the field.
- Explore opportunities to expand resources offered on client platforms.
- Support social media strategy, content development and publication across various social media platforms for Bixal and our clients.
- Enforce editorial style guidelines and 508 compliance.
- Track and report on web analytics.
- Support content migration efforts (as needed).
- Liaise with clients and project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Support business development initiatives to enhance and grow Bixal’s business, including proposal writing and providing support to articulate and document technical approaches.
- Play an active role in new client acquisition and new business presentations (as appropriate).
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with 7-8 years of post-graduate communications experience working in a non-profit, PR agency, government, or corporate setting.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for news and social networking.
- Outstanding news judgment, writing, speaking, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Rigorous attention to detail.
- Proficient in web-based technology, social media and digital strategy.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite and developing cutting-edge graphics.
- Excellent research skills.
- Team player, with a good sense of humor who thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
- Proven excellence in juggling multiple and often high-pressure deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in International Development, Food Security/Agricultural Initiatives and/or Private Sector Engagement.
- Experience working with U.S. government agencies, non-profit organizations and local community-based organizations.
- Lived and/or worked in a developing country for a minimum of 2 years.
- Proficiency in French, Portuguese or Spanish.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
10 paid holidays
Company provided Short-Term Disability
Company provided Life Insurance
401k with employer match
WMATA commuter benefits program
New business referral bonus
Professional development incentives
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.