Senior UX Designer
Washington D.C. Metro Area
UX and Design
Who we are:
Bixal uses strategic communications, design, and technology to positively transform the lives of people through the work we do for our clients. What distinguishes us is our diverse and global perspective to addressing complex challenges and a single-minded focus on remaining lean and agile.
Bixal is growing. We cultivate top talent in the fields of strategic communications, experience strategy and design, mobile and web application, integrated marketing solutions, data analytics, and instructional design.
What will you do?
Feed the Future (FTF) Knowledge, Data, Learning and Training, (KDLT) is a newly awarded multi-year project funded by USAID. The goal of this project is to develop knowledge products and resources using various learning methods to contribute to USAID’s investments in reducing global hunger, malnutrition and poverty. Our focus is to provide technical leadership to support the evolution of strategic learning and knowledge management to address challenges in developing countries and create transformation in the way food systems work. Using your core design skills, you will create and refine digital products to enable useful, usable, and delightful experiences for those that use them.
- Carry out a wide variety of UX tasks and create UX deliverables including:
- Understand product specifications and user psychology
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Create personas through user research and data
- Define the right interaction model and evaluate its success
- Develop wireframes and prototypes around customer needs
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Collaborate cross functionally in an Agile environment to help create best in class digital experiences; teams include but are not limited to: strategy, content, visual, development, etc.
- Facilitate ideation through sketching and collaborative activities, such as design sprints and other participatory design activities.
- Create storyboards and step-by-step flows of varying resolution to communicate a person’s experience through a system.
- Conducting evaluative user research (for example, user testing of prototypes or existing products, heuristic analyses, and interviews).
- Work integrally with Developers to shepherd designs through the development process
- Promote the importance of human-centered design practice throughout the organization and with Bixal’s clients.
- Work collaboratively with senior management to bring new and innovative methodologies to Bixal's user experience practice.
- Implement, maintain, and expand upon project plans with emphasis on high-degree of quality in conjunction product managers and development managers.
- Mentor and develop team members in alignment with Bixal’s brand and overall direction
- Keep abreast of industry trends and tools and communicate findings out to the team/Bixal.
- Help to build a culture of continuous improvement across all levels of UX design — strategic, structural, and surface — where UX designers (including yourself) feel challenged with meaningful work and see a clear path for growth.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
Qualifications - What Will You Need?
- 8 years of experience in UX role or commensurate work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated history of successful interaction design and prototyping.
- Working knowledge of current front-end technologies. (Being able to rock the code is a major bonus.)
- Strong experience in at least two of these areas:
- Design Research
- Information Architecture
- Visual Design
- Service Design
- Excellent communications skills including verbal, written, and drawing
- History of presenting work to a variety of populations including Stakeholders and Clients.
- Must be able to assess a client’s needs and articulate the rationale for design decisions
- Must have a portfolio of experience.
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive base salary
- Flex hours
- 401K with matching incentive
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- Company provided short-term disability
- Company provided life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- 3 weeks PTO
- Paid Holidays
- Professional development opportunities
Position is full-time, salaried, with benefits unless otherwise specified. No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.