Senior Systems Administrator
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Who we are:
Bixal uses strategic communications, design, and technology to positively transform the lives of people through the work we do for our clients. What distinguishes us is our diverse and global perspective to addressing complex challenges and a single-minded focus on remaining lean and agile.
Bixal is growing. We cultivate top talent in the fields of strategic communications, experience strategy and design, mobile and web application, integrated marketing solutions, data analytics, and instructional design.
This role is expected to be on-site in Fairfax, VA 3 to 4 times a week. We have opportunities for work-from-home an average of 1 to 2 days per week with flex hours.
What will you do?
You will be an integral part of Bixal's growing internal IT team. You will serve as a senior technical resource supporting a growing corporate support team. You will be designing and implementing various technical services to support corporate actives. Services include highly available WiFi/Radius, VPN/TIC, AD/LDAP, VOIP, light network management, MDM and automated provisioning strategies. Working knowledge of SSO, SAML, OAuth, and other corporate identity authorizations. Expert-level knowledge around Microsoft services and Powershell is needed. Linux, AWS, Azure, GCP, are also used and highly desired. You will have opportunities to develop these skills but must bring a large portion of them to the table.
The ideal candidate will have past experience in automating common tasks and can guide teams and other technical admins and developers on secure implementations of automated processes.
- Expert-level knowledge of Office 365 and Microsoft services including SharePoint, Azure Active Directory, and other lesser-used components of the O365 suite.
- Help design and document infrastructure and processes for managing business operations.
- Help build, implement, and support an automated MDM and corporate provisioning model to support Windows, Linux, and OS X.
- SSO, OAuth, SAML, ADFS, etc.
- Scripting or light programming and project management for systems-related projects.
- Operate on "pager duty" for occasional after-hours support.
- Install new software, troubleshoot, grant permissions to applications, and assist in training lesser experienced administrators.
- Perform system updates, make recommendations on server configurations, and implement changes in multiple environments from test or development to production.
- Perform software installation and configuration using AWS and on-premise.
- Deploy approved release packages and break-fix solutions in accordance with all enterprise architecture and configuration, change, and release management policies and procedures.
- Monitor infrastructure, systems operations, and critical application services 24/7; provide information and statistics relevant to system limits on capacity, data storage, system utilization, etc.; respond to critical outages and restore services within agreed-upon service levels.
- Experience developing and interpreting detailed installation instructions and supporting documentation to effect system design deployments.
- Provide technical expertise in the areas of system design, installation, configuration, tuning, capacity planning, troubleshooting, and problem resolution.
- Sets up administrators and services accounts, maintains system documentation, tunes system performance, and installs system-wide software.
- We are interested in providing additional learning opportunities for more application-focused architecture using AWS, GCP, Elastic Beanstalk, Elastic Container System, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault, Consul, Packer, Jenkins, Bitbucket Pipelines, CircleCI, TravisCI, Jenkins, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least 7 years of experience in a comparable role
- Workforce Identity Management
- LDAP, AzureAD, ADFS, and similar tools.
- Expertise with Office365.
- Workforce device management, provisioning, and automation.
- Hosted SharePoint (no need to be expert, but have familiarity with features and organization of entities)
- Solid understanding of networking fundamentals
- Well versed in the fundamentals of the command line on Linux and Windows.
- Scripting and modern automation tooling.
Nice to haves:
- Understanding of common small business challenges, related to on-boarding, off-boarding, identify management, and managing these things across services.
- Infrastructure as Code.
- Office365 FedRAMP High.
- AWS, IAM, various cloud service concepts. Gov Cloud.
- NIST and DISA standards related to Federal controls.
- PCI, FEDRamp compliance familiarity or similar.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
10 paid holidays
Company provided Short-Term Disability
Company provided Life Insurance
401k with employer match
WMATA commuter benefits program
New business referral bonus
Professional development incentives
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.