KDLT Digital Communications Specialist
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Who we are:
We are BIXAL, a mission-driven organization determined to leave a positive impact on the
lives of people everywhere. And we believe in the potential of our government to deliver
on this mission at a scale like nothing else in the world.
We believe everyone deserves an effective government, and we believe that if we can
optimize the customer experience in this space for our clients and partners, the potential
is absolutely limitless. So we partner with leading Federal agencies to conceive and deliver
powerful data-driven customer experiences through holistic digital and communications
solutions. We offer an array of strategic and digital services including customer-experience
design, data science, analytics, cloud computing and more, but digital innovation alone
does not define us.
BIXAL is more than an agency. It’s a methodology.
It’s a people-absolutely-first approach to solving complex organizational challenges that
gracefully balances cutting-edge technical chops with a deep sense of empathy and
understanding. We relentlessly focus on outcomes, and weave it all together with a unique
agility that permeates across every single step we take.
We bring a high standard and a different creative energy to our Federal clients, and our
wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible. BIXAL unites different people with
different perspectives from all over the world. And then we provide them with an open and
empowered environment where solutions flourish and collaboration is king.
This position will be based in downtown, Washington DC.
What will you do?
Recognizing the value of a learning culture, the USAID Bureau for Food Security (BFS) intends to increase its capacity for knowledge-sharing and learning through the Feed the Future Knowledge, Data, Learning and Training (KDLT) activity.
The KDLT activity is designed to provide BFS including its various offices and teams, Missions, interagency partners, and implementing partners—with concrete support, tools and activities.
This is an exciting position for a creative digital communicator with impeccable writing skills, knowledge of websites and digital communications, an eye for design and a drive to accomplish goals. The chosen candidate will be joining a dynamic, fun, high quality team with high standards and a heart for the mission of food security.
This position will have a critical role in web content maintenance and development, helping the team reach target markets and ensuring adherence to brand and style guides. This position is also critical to helping staff produce communications materials that are clean, professional and uphold our high standards. This position is perfect for someone who is high achieving, creative, and who sees the big picture as well as details.
- Edit and write blog and web content on food security, agriculture, water, nutrition and resilience for multiple sites.
- Help create and maintain web governance plans.
- Create content for a food security-focused newsletter, including management of the day-today newsletter process.
- Capture knowledge at events and meetings to include in the newsletter.
- Build strong professional relationships to assist in newsletter content creation.
- Possess the ability to be flexible during the reviews and approval process for the newsletter.
- Work with a design and production team to develop graphics, videos, podcasts and other multi-media content.
- Draft and edit compelling social media posts, with a focus on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Edit and format reports and presentations.
- Contribute creative ideas to the team.
- Manage communications plans as needed.
- Adapt to the changing needs and requests of the client.
- Effectively communicate across multiple formats and audiences.
- Perform other duties as required.
- A bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years of experience, or a master’s degree with 1-2 years of experience.
- Excellent knowledge of digital communications.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Knowledge of 508 compliance.
- Knowledge of user-centered design and general UX principles.
- Experience creating web governance.
- Experience working with Drupal and/or similar content management systems.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Knowledge of AP style guidelines.
- Ability to write in various tones (ex. plain language, social media).
- Excellent client relationship and rapport building skills.
- Experience creating newsletters.
Nice to Have:
- Experience working with USAID.
- Knowledge of food security and agriculture.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of Agile.
- Knowledge of JIRA (or other agile tracking tools).
- Experience with additional software including, Adobe Creative Cloud, Constant Contact, Mailchimp and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of multiple social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Instagram.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
10 paid holidays
Company provided Short-Term Disability
Company provided Life Insurance
401k with employer match
WMATA commuter benefits program
New business referral bonus
Professional development incentives
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.