Washington D.C. Metro Area
UX and Design
Who we are:
We are BIXAL, a mission-driven organization determined to leave a positive impact on the
lives of people everywhere. And we believe in the potential of our government to deliver
on this mission at a scale like nothing else in the world.
We believe everyone deserves an effective government, and we believe that if we can
optimize the customer experience in this space for our clients and partners, the potential
is absolutely limitless. So we partner with leading Federal agencies to conceive and deliver
powerful data-driven customer experiences through holistic digital and communications
solutions. We offer an array of strategic and digital services including customer-experience
design, data science, analytics, cloud computing and more, but digital innovation alone
does not define us.
BIXAL is more than an agency. It’s a methodology.
It’s a people-absolutely-first approach to solving complex organizational challenges that
gracefully balances cutting-edge technical chops with a deep sense of empathy and
understanding. We relentlessly focus on outcomes, and weave it all together with a unique
agility that permeates across every single step we take.
We bring a high standard and a different creative energy to our Federal clients, and our
wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible. BIXAL unites different people with
different perspectives from all over the world. And then we provide them with an open and
empowered environment where solutions flourish and collaboration is king.
This position will be expected to be on site with the client in Baltimore at least two days per week. There will be opportunities to work from home the other days.
What will you do?
The role of the Service Designer is to understand the totality of a person’s experience with a system and facilitate the co-design of touchpoints and experiences that address the end-to-end journey of the customer across both digital and offline channels.
This role is involved throughout the entire lifecycle of a project: everything from understanding the unmet needs of all the actors in a system with generative research to validating solutions and measuring outcomes with participatory design and evaluative research.
This project is part of the Social Security Administration’s effort to modernize their services, improve customer experience (CX), and increase efficiency. Bixal will support the SSA by conducting extensive research into the channels that create high volume traffic, resulting in an initial MVP, and ultimately a pilot that will be released for small-group testing.
Essential Skills and Activities
These are the mindsets and skills we’re looking for in a Service Designer and the types of related activities we see this person being engaged in:
- Listen to the needs of technical and business stakeholders and interpret between them.
- Manage stakeholders’ expectations and be flexible and capable of both proactive and reactive communication.
- Facilitate difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders.
- Communicate content and deliverables to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Be responsive to changes in technology, adapting your approach accordingly.
- Make decisions to meet user needs in context.
- Understand the importance of assisted digital and be able to design services and make decisions to meet relevant customers’ needs.
- Understand the importance of non-digital experiences and when they are appropriate.
Evidence & Context-based Design
- Use qualitative and quantitative research to guide design directions.
- Generate multiple solutions to a problem and test them.
Facilitate Decision-making and Risk Analysis
- Make and guide effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached.
- Understand technical complexity and risks, run collaborative design activities, influence others and build consensus.
Leadership & Guidance
- Contribute to best practice guidelines.
- Understand the sustainability and consequences of your decisions and make decisions characterized by managed levels of risk and complexity.
- Assist in resolving disagreements between wider peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions.
- Engage in prototyping as a team activity, actively soliciting prototypes and testing with others.
- Establish design patterns and iterate on them.
- Understand a variety of methods of prototyping and choose the most appropriate one for the situation.
- Define strategies and policies, providing guidance to others on working in the strategic context.
- Evaluate current strategies to ensure business requirements are being met and exceeded where possible.
- Identify and understand constraints, communicate these, and work within them.
- Challenge the validity of constraints.
- Ensure standards are being met.
- Collaborate with user researchers to represent users internally.
- Understand the difference between customer needs and desires.
- Champion user research to focus on all customers, both internal and external.
- Prioritize and define approaches to understand the customer story, guiding others in doing so.
- Offer recommendations on the best tools and methods to use.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate work experience.
- 3–5 years of experience in Service Design, HCD role, or commensurate work experience.
- Demonstrated history of successful user research, analysis, and prototyping.
- Demonstrated strength in at least two of these areas: Design Research, Information Architecture, Writing, Visual Design, Service Design.
- Demonstrated history of presenting work to a variety of populations including stakeholders and clients.
- Portfolio to be shared during interview.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working in a customer value-focused, iterative design and implementation environment.
- Experience with mentoring junior designers and researchers.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
10 paid holidays
Company provided Short-Term Disability
Company provided Life Insurance
401k with employer match
WMATA commuter benefits program
New business referral bonus
Professional development incentives
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.