Confirmed Data Engineer - BlaBlaCar Daily
Paris or Remote from France /
Engineering – Data Engineering /
BlaBlaCar is the world’s leading community-based travel network, connecting over 100 million members across 22 countries looking to carpool or travel by bus. By sharing rides and filling empty seats on the road, our community avoids 1.6 million tons of CO2 emissions every year (as if Paris was free of road traffic for a year!)
We are a global and diverse team of 700+ people with 45+ nationalities, and headquartered in Paris. We’re constantly looking for new ways to leverage technology to create a more affordable, convenient, flexible and sustainable way to travel. And we are always on the lookout for people who care about making a positive impact.
We are looking for a Confirmed Data Engineer to join the Data BlaBlaCar Daily squad. Our Data services are organized following Data Mesh principles, distributing data ownership to domain-specific teams that manage, own, and serve the data as a product.
The Data BlaBlaCar Daily squad is in charge of the data products related to BlaBlaCar Daily members and customers. BlaBlaCar Daily creates a unique commuting product; it connects passengers and drivers on their home-work journeys. The squad builds a data warehouse on this scope to serve clean data to BlaBlaCar Daily customers, which includes both internal users (Product, Engineering, Sales, Customer Success) and external customers (local governments, enterprises).
The squad benefits from the support of the whole BlaBlaCar technical ecosystem, while operating as a nimbler start-up. The data-warehouse is built around two main components: Google BigQuery and Airflow.
Your role is to build the foundations of the data warehouse layer. This layer integrates work from BlaBlaCar and Klaxit, following the recent acquisition. It needs to be taken to the next level, supporting 10x more use cases as it did before. You will work closely with Data Analysts, Data Scientists and Software Engineers on your team to continuously provide data products to internal and external clients.
Also, you will contribute to the Data Engineering Chapter, a horizontal group of Data Engineers, whose mission is to improve tools for Data Engineers, and make efficient the day-to-day of a Data Engineer by innovative technologies, processes etc.
As a Data Engineer, you'll be working closely with Floriane Duccini, Engineering Manager of the squad, as well as 3 Data Analysts. During the first months, your main role with the team will be to centralise and unify all Data from BlaBlaCar Daily and Klaxit.
You'll be responsible for:
• Building efficient and robust data models for large volumes of data
• Developing and optimizing the data workflows from the raw layer to the data mart in our data platform
• Implementing solutions to improve the data quality
• Being the point of communication for all Data Engineering decisions in your domain; working closely with the Data Analysts of your team
• Contributing in the Data Engineering Chapter, defining policies and standards for data management
• Articulating the strategy to build a data platform; this platform enables a mesh of autonomous data domains to interoperate.
• You have strong data engineering skills and are used to working hand-in-hand with data consumers on a daily basis
• You have strong SQL skills & work experience on a cloud data warehouse
• You have strong experience with Python, including testing, deployment and codebase refactoring
• Ideally, you have Engineering Analytics experience (working with DataMarts)
• You have excellent communication skills, you’re humble, and you enjoy sharing & learning from others
• You embrace change, are able to take a step back, prioritize, and focus on added-value tasks
• You have a results-driven and impact-oriented mindset
• Fluency in English
If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d still be a great fit for this role in your application!
What we have to offer
🌎 An international environment with over 45+ nationalities
⚖️ A hybrid, flexible workplace with family-friendly policies
💡 Learning opportunities via access to training, mentorship, internal development programs, or our weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks and Tech & Product Demos
🤝 Team-building events like our weekly afterworks, breakfasts, our annual Coding Night or Impact Day
🌱 A product and a workplace with a strong commitment to sustainability
🧭 Shared BlaBlaPrinciples that are the foundation of our culture and everyday decisionsTo know more, check out our 100 reasons to join BlaBlaCar!
Your Future Benefits
• Full remote possible in the country of the role
• 1 additional month parental leave 100% paid
• Financial support for home office equipment
• Relocation package and visa support
• Free unlimited carpooling & bus rides
• Employee Stock Ownership plan
• Minimum 25 days holiday per year
• Local meal plan policies (Swile card in France)
• 50% transportation paid in France (Forfait Mobilité Durable)
• Mental health support through Moka.care
Interested in joining the ride?
Here’s what your hiring journey will look like:
• a 45-min video-call with our Talent Acquisition Manager, Benjamin Rémy, to get to know you, understand your career expectations, and answer your questions
• a 60-min video-call with your future manager, Floriane Duccini, to get to know you and present you the team
• a fully remote exercice to evaluate your technical skills
• a 60-min video-call with Software and Data Engineers to discuss your exercice and technical skills
• a 45-min video-call with Emmanuel Martin-Chave, VP Data to assess your growth mindset
Usually, our hiring process lasts on average 20-25 days and offers usually come within 48 hours.
BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.