PR & Communications Lead
Vancouver, BC, Canada /
Studio – PR and Communications /
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
The PR & Communications Lead guides the studio’s communications strategy, helping raise BBI’s public profile in the industry. They work closely with stakeholders from the Community, Talent, Studio Operations, and Production teams who co-own external & internal studio messaging and channels.
You will be responsible for developing a voice that is uniquely ours. Equally important, you will help us establish a direct line of contact with our audience and own the relationship with our customers through studio-operated channels. This role will also require you to liaise quite frequently with our external publishing partners and work with them on promoting our games.
- Define then roll out BBI’s communications strategy - working in close partnership with the Director Of Business Development & Communications, the Executive Team, and External Publishing Partners
- Develop awareness and visibility of BBI as a studio and what we stand for beyond our games - among players, industry professionals, and prospective recruits alike
- Identify opportunities to raise the studio’s and games’ profiles: B2B press interviews, involvement in local dev and tech communities, global industry events etc.
- Help surface BBI as an attractive place to work
- Reach out to relevant media and press contacts and be an excellent partner for them
- Offer media training to dev teams’ spokespersons
- Grow studio-owned channels and associated contacts database: monthly newsletter, social media accounts etc.
- Support the Community team in their effort to create engaging content for all owned social media channels
- Support the Community team in establishing influencer strategy and building lasting, respectful, and mutually beneficial relationships with influencers
- Provide guidance and coordination for marketing campaigns led by external publishing partners
- Liaise with agencies as needed
- Help us stay current with best practices, new channels, ideas, and technologies in communications
- 5+ years in related positions - preferably within video game, tech or entertainment industries
- Previous public-facing communications experience
- Impeccable written and verbal English communication skills
- Solid copywriting experience, including developing brand / editorial voice
- Robust organizational, prioritization, and self-management skills
- Active listener and positive team player
- Deep knowledge of the independent and PC video game market
- Extensive network of video game press contacts
- Familiarity with crisis and online toxicity management
- Experience building and/or leading a small team
- Good eye for branding and graphic design
- Event organizing experience
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: email@example.com
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.