Animator (6 month contract)
Vancouver, BC, Canada /
Art – Art /
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an animator to craft the motion on a new original IP game. You will be responsible for creating both high quality keyframe animations and using custom in-engine tools to tune and design procedural movement for specific components of the game.
- Produce high quality animation related to in-game actions and matches established style.
- Proficient in animating both mechanical and organic assets
- Use custom tools built in Unity to define procedural movement parameters
- Build simple rigs for units using Advanced Skeleton autorig system
- Creating meaningful, readable animation based on defined game cameras.
- Take direction from the Art Director and Animation Director to maintain a coherent aesthetic thread throughout the project.
- Collaborate with the art and design teams to drive and ensure continued quality.
- Experience with game engines/animation state trees.
- Experience using autorigging tools (Advanced Skeleton, mGear, etc) to create simple non-character animation rigs.
- Experienced using Maya.
- Able to work well as part of a team.
- A demo reel that demonstrates your animation ability
- 2+ years experience in animation.
- Knowledge of Unity
- Knowledgeable about strategy games.
- Has worked on a shipped project.
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: email@example.com
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.