Associate Gameplay Programmer
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a strong junior developer to assist gameplay development on a major project. Do you know how to get things done? Can you work with designers and artists to understand and implement what they need? We are looking for a talented team player eager to be a key part of our engineering team.
- Develop gameplay systems and features such as unit goals and behaviours, weapons and combat, inventory, AI, upgrades, etc.
- Develop tools and pipelines to enable designers to work with your features.
- Work closely with designers to understand and refine design intentions via prototypes and rapid iteration.
- Collaborate continuously with design, art and technical teams to define requirements and iteratively build solutions.
- 2+ years of proven game development experience.
- Good understanding of C++.
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent.
- Experience shipping AAA games on multiple platforms.
- Experience with Unity 3D, Unreal, or other similar full-featured game engine.
- Console development experience.
- Mobile / tablet experience.
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development--whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Must be eligible and available for Full Time & On-site work in Vancouver, BC.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Blackbird Interactive is committed to diversity and building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.