Vancouver, BC, Canada /
Art – FX /
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a passionate FX artist to join our team! Do you have a broad range of creative and technical experience in both 2D and 3D FX? Here's a chance to join a small team where you can put all of your skills and interests to work.
- Creative development of 2D and 3D FX using Unity, and associated plugins and tools.
- Technical problem solving of how to achieve our signature look in the engine.
- Work closely with the art director and designers to create in-game assets that get everyone stoked! Create, tweak, implement and fix world-class art for a world-class game.
- Inspire and support team members, and accept personal responsibility for the project deliverables.
- Monitor deliverable progress, manage assigned scope and requested changes, meet commitments, follow up and be on time.
- Be a key member of the FX team, driving process and quality of deliverables.
- Reporting to the Art Director, you will be responsible for the creation of FX for an unannounced title.
- 3+ years of proven game development, with a preference for experience in RTS and sci-fi ship visuals.
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Understand and help determine technical restrictions/limitations, and create compelling visual FX within those constraints.
- Ability to work from concept and design briefs, and iterate to meet scope and technical requirements.
- Experience creating FX in Unity
- Available for full time & on-site or remote work in Vancouver, BC
- Passion for Retro Sci-Fi and Anime is a bonus!
- Ability to write shaders in Unity is an asset.
- Knowledge of Houdini and JangaFX EmberGen
- Knowledge of Unity VFX Graph
- 3D modeling skills.
- 2D painting skills.
- Texturing skills: Ability to map geometry; manipulate UVs; adjust textures using Photoshop; create high quality/high resolution texture.
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: email@example.com
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.