Senior Game Designer
Design – Design
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our growing studio. We have an exciting new project, and are looking for a key hire to own the development and execution of the core game systems on a 3rd person action-strategy hybrid game.
Do you want to build compelling game experiences having designed, prototyped and delivered high profile gameplay systems, features or tools? Do you love working with as small team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious in-game content? If so, this role could be for you! As a Game Designer you will be highly collaborative and able to creatively solve challenging design and technical problems. You care about shaping an engaging player experience and bringing together a blend of creative and technical skills and experience.
- Design, prototype and implement gameplay mechanics and systems, in collaboration with the other designers and programmers.
- Design, prototype and implement level mechanics, in collaboration with the other designers and programmers.
- Provide team-facing documentation to inform and guide the work of groups such as tech teams, content creators or production.
- Participate in planning a road-map to completion for the systems for which you’re responsible.
- Guide the tuning and pacing of the player experience, and contribute to defining the tools and pipeline required to do so.
- Execute clean and robust implementation of items and abilities with game-wide ramifications and effects.
- Provide thoughtfully and thoroughly considered systematic implementation of reward mechanisms and mechanics.
- Understand, interpret and execute on creative direction, in alignment with project goals.
- Collaborate with artists and programmers to build challenges and puzzles that emphasize the strengths of our core gameplay.
- Test and integrate new features, art assets, and gameplay props as they come online.
- Review and incorporate feedback on your work from other designers.
- Mentor and assist junior designers in the development of their skill set.
- Knowledge of competitive products and a variety gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun.
- Strong written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
- Ability to think logically with a high level of attention to detail.
- 5+ years in a design role.
- The ability to own an entire game feature and work with other discipline groups to carry said feature from concept through to completion.
- Experience with Unity, Unreal or a similar game engine.
- Shipped at least two games.
- Experience with other areas of design (level design, UX/UI, encounter scripting, etc.)
- Experience with shipping a title on multiple platforms and input devices.
- Experience playing modern 3rd person games, such as 3rd person shooters, 3D platformers or open world RPG's.
- Interest in single-player and co-op gaming.
- Past experience in a leadership role.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development--whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Must be eligible and available for Full Time & On-site work in Vancouver, BC.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Blackbird Interactive is committed to diversity and building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.