XDEV Business Development Lead
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Studio – Business Growth /
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
The XDEV Business Development Lead focuses on bringing new opportunities into the studio’s work-for-hire pipeline. This covers the whole gamut from full game development for partners (like Minecraft Legends) to co-development (like Crossfire: Legion), and everything in-between.
They will be responsible for developing key growth strategies and action plans, building industry relationships, attending industry events, identifying and securing new business opportunities, and maintaining existing client relationships. This role will require frequent traveling (5-10 times a year).
This role is open to local applicants as well as consultants working remotely outside of Canada. Folks looking to consult from outside of Canada will require an independent agreement.
- Develop and nurture key industry relationships, in close partnership with the Studio Leadership and the Director of Business Development & Communications.
- Uncover relevant RFP, work-for-hire, external development, and co-development opportunities for the studio.
- Directly contribute to meeting the studio’s work-for-hire FY revenue goals.
- Contact warm and cold leads for business development and sales opportunities.
- Participate in industry events and network with potential clients.
- Work with key studio stakeholders on RFP responses and manage the whole pitching process from start to finish as the main point of contact, both internal and external.
- Provide frequent status updates and report on current business development initiatives to Studio Leadership.
- Liaise regularly with Studio Resource Manager to anticipate upcoming staff availability and elaborate plans accordingly.
- Update materials showcasing our work-for-hire capabilities.
- Help us stay tuned into best practices and market trends, providing strategic recommendations about the pitfalls to avoid - as well as an honest assessment of the areas for improvement for our studio as a work-for-hire partner.
- 5+ years in related positions (i.e. sales, outsourcing) - preferably within the video game, tech, or entertainment industries.
- Established network within the video game industry.
- Demonstrable track record of closing sales deals.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the video game industry incl. rising stars and emerging trends.
- Terrific organizational, prioritization, and self-management skills.
- Proactive strategic thinker, quick to identify and leverage new business opportunities.
- Robust written and verbal English communication skills.
- Capable of putting visually appealing presentations together on one’s own — you don't have to be a graphic designer, but you should be able to assemble compelling materials!
- Active listener and positive team player.
- Willingness to travel as required to meet partners and prospective clients.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
- Contract law expertise.
Annual base salary range: $100,000 - $135,000 CDN
This role is eligible for discretionary bonus and profit sharing
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: email@example.com
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.