Senior Programmer (Performance Specialist)
Vancouver, BC, Canada /
Programming – Programming /
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an experienced senior programmer to spearhead performance analysis and optimization efforts across our games. You will be a central resource, working closely with our various game teams to identify and resolve performance challenges, to ensure our games run smoothly and create great player experiences.
Reporting to the CTO, your first mission will be to work with the Hardspace: Shipbreaker team during Early Access to ensure our physics-intensive, zero-gravity spaceship demolition game runs as smoothly as possible.
- Profile and investigate CPU, GPU and load time performance on multiple platforms.
- Identify bottlenecks and optimize code, data and content to improve performance and reduce memory usage.
- Establish performance budgets and targets that guide development towards success.
- Collaborate with multiple game teams using a variety of engines and technologies.
- Establish and promote performance-related best practices for all our development teams.
- 5-10+ years of game development experience, including multiple shipped titles.
- Many years of practical experience with C++ and ideally C#.
- Deep understanding of CPU and cache architecture and its impact on performance.
- Knowledge of the graphics pipeline and GPU optimization.
- Experience with a variety of platforms and hardware architectures, including PC and console.
- Inquisitive drive to get to the bottom of complex technical issues.
- Collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach to solving hard problems.
- Experience shipping AAA games on PC and console.
- Experience debugging and understanding assembly code.
- Experience with multi threaded and SIMD programming.
- Experience with graphics programming in DirectX, Metal, Vulkan or OpenGL.
- Familiarity with game content pipelines and the relationship between content and performance.
- Extensive experience with Unity 3D, including the new data-oriented tech stack.
- Experience with Unreal or other similar full-featured game engines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.