Full Stack / Backend Software Engineer
Software Engineering /
BlackCart’s try-before-you-buy integration brings the retail fitting room experience home. We integrate into ecommerce stores, enabling shoppers to try products at home for free, and only pay for what they keep. BlackCart powered merchants see increased conversion and higher average order value and their customers can choose the products they love most without the upfront commitment. We were recently written up in TechCrunch!
We’ve raised over $10M from a long list of top-tier VCs, and have partnered with top ecommerce retailers such as Levi’s and Caraway with many more awesome retailers both big and small in the works. We are growing our team so we can continue to optimize the digital shopping experience!
About the Role
We are seeking a talented Full Stack / Backend Engineer who will support with initiatives to design, implement and own parts of the BlackCart platform. You will be supporting with creating, maintaining, and extending features of the BlackCart platform from its inception to launch to ensure we are shipping high quality code, ultimately producing a superior customer and merchant experience.
- Contribute to technical design discussions and support technical decisions
- Working with the senior engineers, build foundational infrastructure for efficient client onboarding, analytics, reporting, and 3rd party integrations
- Test and ship end-to-end features to our growing base of customers at a rapid cadence
- Uphold standards for quality by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, creating automated tests, and monitoring performance.
- Influence the product roadmap
- Promote and adhere to the workplace values of BlackCart (transparency, treat customers like royalty, keep things simple, pursue growth & learning, work hard)
- You have 3- 5 years of full stack / backend development experience building scalable, fault-tolerant web services
- You have experience building on top of AWS, GCP, or Azure
- You have a DevOps mindset where you will own your application end-to-end and are able to understand and address infrastructure concerns
- You have experience with databases and designing robust APIs
- You are an effective communicator and work collaboratively across teams
Nice to Have(s)
- You have experience with PHP and Laravel
- You have worked with e-commerce (Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Magento) and payment (Stripe, Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay) platforms
- Technology we use and teach includes: GCP, PHP, Laravel, MySQL
You’ll be successful if you
- Study and learn the business and its processes
- Put the customer first and always add value
- Be proactive and have a hunger to learn
- Lead with humility and empathy
- Be helpful by taking stuff off others’ plate
- Wholly own craft and be an independent contributor
- Competitive salary
- Competitive stock options
- Full health benefits
- 500 Startups / venture backed company
- Casual work environment with extremely talented staff
- Ability to join an early stage for a one of the fastest growing startups with market validation and VC funding
Bonus Points if you...
Bring experience with retail and ecommerce platforms
Bring experience working in a high-growth startup environment
Love animals (It’s likely that our CHOs, Chief Happiness Officers – Harvey and Unagi – will be sitting in on your interview!)
Toronto, Ontario, or
Remote North America
If you do not meet 100% of the above qualifications, but still think you would be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply! We will consider all candidates with relevant skill sets for this role, even if there are certain requirements they do not meet.
BlackCart is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. As part of this commitment, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage you to connect with us at email@example.com if you require an accommodation in the recruitment process, or need this job posting in an alternative format.