Senior Data Engineer
Software Engineering /
BlackCart’s try-before-you-buy integration brings the retail fitting room experience home. We integrate into ecommerce stores, enabling shoppers to try products at home for free, and only pay for what they keep. BlackCart powered merchants see increased conversion and higher average order value and their customers can choose the products they love most without the upfront commitment. We were recently written up in TechCrunch!
We’ve raised over $10M from a long list of top-tier VCs, and have partnered with top ecommerce retailers such as Levi’s and Caraway with many more awesome retailers both big and small in the works. We are growing our team so we can continue to optimize the digital shopping experience!
About the Role
We are seeking a talented Senior Data Engineer who will lead initiatives to design, implement, and own data systems within the BlackCart platform. You will be responsible for building systems that ingest, clean, store, and make sense of the data created through customer and merchant interactions, ultimately producing a superior customer and merchant experience through better understanding of our data.
As a Senior Data Engineer, You Will:
- Work cross-functionally to analyze large amounts of behavioural and transaction data to uncover fraudulent behaviour and activity.
- Create predictive models to understand user-level fraud risk.
- Research and develop how advanced data science techniques and machine learning can enable and empower our fraud detection capabilities.
- Build and run end-to-end data pipelines and operations from ingestion and integration through delivery for data products.
- Make sense of our data. Work with various operational data systems, BI reporting and analytics tools to help it make sense to other people.
Why should you join BlackCart
- The role is first in the function here. You’ll have significant impact and responsibility to data systems powering the future of e-commerce.
- We offer competitive compensation including salary and equity. You grow as we grow!
- We have an awesome HQ in Toronto as well as a distributed engineering team - come work with us in person or work remotely!
- Full health benefits.
- BlackCart is a rapidly growing startup, poised to significantly transform the retail industry with our market leading Try-Before-You-Buy platform.
- 3+ years of software development experience working in cloud environments, preferably GCP.
- 3-5 years of experience building scalable and reliable data pipelines, combining and transforming data from sources to consumption, and architecting data stores.
- Implemented analytics pipelines to assess machine learning model results.
- Advanced SQL skills with experience querying large and very complex and varied data sources including flat files, SQL & NoSQL databases, APIs, clickstream and log data.
- Proven track record in working and delivering end-to-end projects independently.
- Bonus if you have previous experience working in fraud detection and prevention, with an understanding of the impact that has on other areas in the company where business and product decisions are made.
Bonus Points if you...
Bring experience with retail and ecommerce platforms
Bring experience working in a high-growth startup environment
Love animals (It’s likely that our CHOs, Chief Happiness Officers – Harvey and Unagi – will be sitting in on your interview!)
Toronto, Ontario, or
Remote North America
If you don't meet 100% of the above qualifications, but still think you'd be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply! We will consider all candidates with relevant skill sets for this role, even if there are certain requirements they do not meet to a T
BlackCart is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. As part of this commitment, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.