Software Engineering /
BlackCart’s try-before-you-buy integration brings the retail fitting room experience home. We integrate into ecommerce stores, enabling shoppers to try products at home for free, and only pay for what they keep. BlackCart powered merchants see increased conversion and higher average order value and their customers can choose the products they love most without the upfront commitment. We were recently written up in TechCrunch!
We’ve raised over $10M from a long list of top-tier VCs, and have partnered with top ecommerce retailers such as Levi’s and Caraway with many more awesome retailers both big and small in the works. We are growing our team so we can continue to optimize the digital shopping experience!
About the Role
We are seeking a talented Engineering Manager who will lead a team of engineers to design, implement, and own large parts of systems within the BlackCart platform. You will be responsible for delivering features from its inception to launch, upholding a high code quality standard, and scaling high performing teams.
As an Engineering Manager, You Will:
- Lead a team of 5 - 10 engineers, drive their career development, develop their talent, and ensure the team is high performing, with a healthy, inclusive and collaborative culture.
- Provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- Apply a customer-centric approach across the engineering organization to help the team craft and execute on a long-term roadmap of BlackCart products.
- Help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- Recruit and represent BlackCart’s hiring brand.
Why should you join BlackCart
- The role is first in the function here. You’ll have significant impact and responsibility to scale our world-class engineering organization.
- We offer competitive compensation including salary and equity. You grow as we grow!
- We have an awesome HQ in Toronto as well as a distributed engineering team - come work with us in person or work remotely!
- Full health benefits.
- BlackCart is a rapidly growing startup, poised to significantly transform the retail industry with our market leading Try-Before-You-Buy platform.
- Solid leadership and interpersonal skills. Effective communication skills to translate complex technical concepts to various audiences.
- 2+ years of experience in leading and managing diverse engineering teams and have a proven track record of success.
- 5+ years of hands-on coding skills with solid CS fundamentals.
- 2+ years of experience building on top of AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and multiple stakeholders. Not afraid to stretch yourself outside of your comfort zone to take on new challenges, and have a love for continuous learning.
- Balance business needs with a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions.
Bonus Points if you...
Bring experience with retail and ecommerce platforms
Bring experience working in a high-growth startup environment
Love animals (It’s likely that our CHOs, Chief Happiness Officers – Harvey and Unagi – will be sitting in on your interview!)
Toronto, Ontario, or
Remote North America
If you don't meet 100% of the above qualifications, but still think you'd be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply! We will consider all candidates with relevant skill sets for this role, even if there are certain requirements they do not meet to a T
BlackCart is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. As part of this commitment, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.