Finance and Accounting /
BlackCart is a try-before-you-buy platform for ecommerce brands. We integrate into online stores, enabling shoppers to try products at home for free, and only pay for what they keep. BlackCart-powered merchants see increased conversion and higher average order values by letting their customers choose the products they love most without upfront commitment. You can learn more about BlackCart here.
We have raised over $10M from a long list of incredible VCs, and is partnered with top ecommerce retailers such as Levi’s, Caraway, and Helix Sleep. We are growing our team so that we can continue to transform the way customers shop online.
About the Role
We are looking for our first dedicated finance leader to propel us into our next phase of growth. You will own the setup of finance function from a strategic level to granular build of processes and SOPs that will enable BlackCart to effectively scale. You will serve as a key member of the Executive Leadership Team, and contribute to revenue, financial performance and capital strategies. In addition, as the VP of Finance, you will advise across the organization and implement process improvements to improve efficiency, scalability, and productivity. The VP of Finance will report to the CEO and partner with the executive leadership team in Board management, investor relations, and fundraising activities. Our ideal candidate combines executive leadership and functional expertise in hyper-growth technology companies or startups. Equally important, we are seeking candidates who authentically live and breathe BlackCart values, and are inspired by our vision to change eCommerce.
As the VP of Finance, you will own the following key focus areas
- Finance Infrastructure Setup and Continuous Improvement
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Treasury Management
- Business Performance Monitoring
- Finance Business Partner
Finance infrastructure setup
- Plan and build / upgrade existing finance infrastructure, develop financial strategies, budgeting processes, and forecasts to support current and future revenue models
- Serve as the conduit between sales, marketing, operations, product, and engineering, implementing process improvements across the organization for operations to run smoothly and with greater efficiency
- Hire, train, manage and mentor finance and accounting team, helping to better define their roles
Financial planning and analysis
- Lead and oversee budgeting across all departments, coaching department leads and ensuring that our spending is generating ROI
- Support CEO and Executive Leadership Team on fundraising efforts and investor relations
- Lead the preparation of board packets and slides for board meetings and board budget reviews, including financials and metrics reporting, administrative information, and key strategic topics for discussion
- Lead all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to our general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting
- Oversee cashflow and working capital planning and execution
- Engage financial institutional partners to explore non-equity sources of financing
- Work closely with department heads to maintain spending against budget
Business performance monitoring
- Review and refine financial model, identifying key performance indicators/metrics to better illustrate BlackCart's financial health
- Conduct comprehensive analyses to determine which key drivers influence performance the most, informing company objectives, driving decision making across the company, and generating results
- Develop and enhance necessary dashboards to track health metrics and business performance to drive short and long-term business decisions
- Provide analysis on metrics to inform resources allocation, contract negotiation and hiring decision making and timing
Finance business partner
- Partner with the Executive Leadership Team and serve as our strategic financial expert
- Partner with Sales and Marketing leaders to establish and track revenue goals
- Partner closely with People leaders to evaluate and determine employee benefits, and total rewards options, including vetting and outlining ESOP, bonus and commission plans
- Manage vendor relationships and review agreement
- Oversee all business insurance plans, ensuring that they meet all company needs and are able to mitigate risks
Why should you join BlackCart
- This role is the first in the function. You will have a significant impact on our financial performance as we continue to expand
- We offer competitive compensation including salary and equity. You grow as we grow!
- We have an awesome HQ in Toronto and offer full health benefits
- BlackCart is a rapidly growing startup, poised to significantly transform the retail industry with our market-leading Try-Before-You-Buy platform
- Self-directed Finance leader with hands-on 5+ years experience in financial operations and accounting in the technology sector, ideally in one or more b2b technology companies/ startups
- Significant investor relationship management experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, expected to build strong and trusting relationships with both technical and commercial stakeholders
- Startup experience and comfortable working in a fast-pace environment with high agility
- Strong desire to work and learn in a high-growth, startup environment
- Excellent team collaboration (you will work especially closely with all departments at BlackCart)
- Thoughtful people management and mentorship skills
- Orientation toward high-level company goals and long-term success
- Organizational design acumen and experience
- Superb attention to detail and high-performance standards
Bonus Points if you...
- Bring experience with retail and ecommerce platforms
- Bring experience working in high-growth startup environments
If you do not meet 100% of the above qualifications, but still think you would be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply! We will consider all candidates with relevant skill sets for this role, even if there are certain requirements they do not meet.
BlackCart is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. As part of this commitment, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage you to connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation in the recruitment process, or need this job posting in an alternative format.