The company + vision.
Everyone’s got the message: machine learning is changing everything. And for Fortune 500 brands in every vertical, it’s actually true — Machine Learning (ML) predictions are solving billion-dollar, migraine problems. But for smaller brands, the talent and investment needed to build an ML platform are simply out of reach.
Black Crow is changing that--fast. Founded by a team that has spent the last decade in machine learning, our mission is to help DTC brands turbocharge their growth by delivering bespoke, Fortune 500-grade ML predictions. It works out of the box, delivered as a service, and costs less than one data scientist. Integration: one click.
6 months ago, we had one DTC brand using our predictions. Now we have over 150 — including Solo Stove, the RealReal, SAKARA, Native, Keurig, and Bearaby. There are 50,000 more who haven’t heard of us yet.
The team + culture.
This is the 3rd company Black Crow’s founders have started together. Both previous companies scaled to >$100MM and were voted ‘Best Places to Work’ in NYC many times.
The founders are building Black Crow to be commercially successful, high growth, and valuable. But that’s insufficient as an end--we’re also building a company that we actually want to work at! That means we are human first--we don’t expect anyone to transform themselves to show up at work. It means working together is a positive force in our lives, not something we tolerate for the paycheck. And it means we see diversity as a strength.
Where you come in:
Black Crow AI is looking for a ML engineer that can work on our machine learning platform - from data ingestion to model building. You'll be part of a small, close-knit team that will empower you to have a big impact.
In our engineering work, we balance cutting-edge technologies with industry-proven practices. With our polyglot approach, you will see a variety of languages, libraries, and databases. Our agile way of working has evolved over many years; you will be working with other well-seasoned engineers.
We believe that engineers are most effective when they are involved with the whole lifecycle of software development: conceiving new features, designing and coding the change, testing, deploying, and support. Don't worry if you don't know how to do everything at first - you'll learn the essentials through pair programming with other experienced engineers on the team.
What you'll do:
- Work closely with our Product team and our Data Science team
- Work in an agile environment
- Produce quality code and documentation
- Architect solutions to complex problems in applied machine learning as part of a dynamic team
- Work directly with our machine learning platform
- Black Crow AI is looking for a bright and ambitious ML Engineer to bring their fresh perspective to our team of thoroughly awesome humans and dogs.
- 3+ years of experience in software development and testing
- Experience working with Scala for 1+ years, comfortable contributing to a mature Scala code base
- Experience with Apache Spark for 1+ years with an understanding of the patterns behind the engine, comfortable creating, augmenting. debugging, and testing Spark jobs
- Experience with machine learning and machine learning frameworks
- Demonstrated experience with all aspects of delivering working software, including analysis, design, automated testing, continuous integration and continuous deployment
- Proven ability to build and deploy large-scale ML pipelines supporting mission-critical production use cases
- Experience developing, monitoring, and maintaining distributed systems & frameworks (Spark/Hadoop, MapReduce, etc.)
- Expertise with AWS (AWS Lambda, Kinesis, API Gateway, ECS, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering or any other engineering field
- Extra credit if you love functional programming!
- You can work Eastern time hours and you're based in the Americas
More about us:
- We work Monday-Thursday (4 day work week)
- Unlimited time off
- We’re based in New York (but you don’t have to be)
- We’re fully remote
Love your job.
We love our work and our team. Our machine learning helps ‘flick the lights on’ for companies so they see their customers more clearly and can uncover the true potential of their tools and teams. In turn, we strive to do the same for our people. We’re here to shine light on each other and unlock known (and sometimes unexpected) potential.
Our vibrant team accomplishes buckets of awesome every day. We also partake in our fair share of daily laughter. Come build the company you’ve always wanted to work for - with inspiring products and a community of passionate people.