UI/UX Game Artist
Eugene or Mountain View or Tokyo
Art & Design
We're a small company doing big things, and our art team is a huge part of it all! You may know us from EverWing on Facebook Instant Games, but we’re looking to start lots of new projects soon. As a UI Artist, you'll join a team combining top-tier talent with a love of gaming to discover and deliver intuitive and innovative experiences for millions.
Here at Blackstorm, culture and growth are everything. Our ideal teammates are thoughtful, humble, and passionate professionals who can both zoom into the details and zoom out to embrace the big picture. We are inspired by makers and tinkerers, who are unafraid to experiment with a healthy disregard for constraints. We hope you'll enrich our team with your enthusiasm and passion, both for games and for life, and that you’ll be a true team player who can put Team above Me.
As a UI/UX Designer, you'll work closely with senior art leadership, producers, developers, and interdisciplinary teams to understand player needs and build top-notch user experiences and interfaces. You'll help shape the UX direction of end-to-end player solutions and find opportunities for further research and innovation, working with senior designers and product leaders to define, improve, and implement design standards across every aspect of the product development cycle.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop beautiful, fun game experiences that are intuitive, scalable, and on-brand by working closely with Engineers, PMs, Designers, and QA.
- Create interface wireframes and user flows, ensuring iterative feedback is incorporated throughout the development process.
- Work with stakeholders and teammates to gather, understand and codify requirements for various projects.
- Produce look and feel layouts, mood boards, storyboards, design briefs, sketches, mock-ups, motion works, and visual comps to help the team understand what to build and why.
- Work with senior artists and stakeholders from inception to drive development, implementation, QA, launch, and ongoing supportHelp champion and implement user-centered design methodologies across products and studios.
- Educate and evangelize the importance of human factors, player feedback, and data-driven decision making in end-to-end user experience design.
- Work with your UX teammates to define and maintain interaction pattern libraries we can share across products, teams, and studios.
- Create polished, game-ready UI Art assets that read well at varying levels of detail.
- Follow high level aesthetic direction from the Art Director from prototyping to final implementation of UI
- BA/BS Degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), or a related field or equivalent in-house experience.
- 2+ years industry experience in mobile, social, or free2play games.
- Exceptional design, artistic, typographic, layout, and compositing abilities.
- Demonstrated understanding of information flow, readability, and interface usability principles.
- Proficiency using Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Photoshop and Illustrator).
- Strong ability and passion to collaborate in nimble, multidisciplinary teams.
- Clear and concise communication style that enables you to explain the thought process behind your work and build consensus around design goals.
- Attention to detail and solid organization.
- Open-minded, friendly, and positive attitude.
- Experience with Flash, Sketch, and rapid prototyping techniques/software a plus.
- Experience leveraging user research, key performance indicators, and analytics to help make informed design decisions a plus.