At Blend, we’re dedicated to improving lending. We’re an enterprise technology company, but our product affects the most important purchase most people will make in their lifetime—their home. For homebuyers, our product means a clear, guided path to a new home. For lenders, it means modern, easy-to-use tools that let employees spend their time helping customers, rather than on repetitive, manual tasks. By aligning and modernizing this archaic industry, we believe everybody wins.
We need someone who’s driven to solve hard problems—the harder the better. We’re motivated by the fact that our product won’t just affect the lives of a few people in the Bay Area—it affects people all over America, not to mention a foundational part of the U.S. economy. Founded in 2012 by former Palantir leaders, we’re currently backed by Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz and other prominent investors.
As a Controller, you will be responsible for building and leading Blend’s Accounting function. In this role you’ll own all areas related to accounting and financial reporting. You will work closely with our outside partners including our tax and audit firm, and partner with FP&A on managing budgets. You will empower your team to do their best work, but can also roll up your sleeves when needed.
- Manage accounting monthly close operations, tax, and financial reporting including the daily activities for GL, AP, AR, and revenue recognition
- Lead the entire Accounting function and build out high performing accounting function to scale with the business
- Lead the annual audit process
- Evaluate new technical accounting developments and recommend appropriate actions including driving process improvements at all levels of the company
- Prepare internal and external financial reporting for management team review, board meetings, and investor presentations
- Assist FP&A in refining department-level budgeting including meeting with different team leads to discuss actual spend vs. planned spend
- Partner with the management team on other strategic business initiatives including the evaluation of accounting implications for these decisions
- 5+ years of progressive accounting management experience, including experience at a major public accounting firm
- SaaS industry experience and with related revenue recognition criteria, including preparedness for ASC 606
- Strong understanding of GAAP
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience implementing new systems in a fast-growing company
- Strong experience leading a team, building out accounting processes and controls
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related