Software Engineer, Backend - Lending Platform
San Francisco, New York /
EPD (Eng, Prod, Design) – Engineering /
Blend helps lenders maximize their digital agility. Our digital lending platform is used by Wells Fargo, U.S. Bank, and other leading financial institutions to increase customer acquisition, improve productivity, and accelerate the delivery of any banking product across every channel. We process more than $3.5 billion in mortgages and consumer loans daily, helping millions of consumers get into homes and gain access to the capital they need to lead better lives.
The Lending Platform Team is one of the core horizontal platform teams that provides the foundational components for the entire of Blend engineering to build microservices. We provide a scalable system that enables product teams to build new features with speed and quality.
The Lending Platform Team provides the fundamental services and shared libraries that other engineers need to build services. The team is also responsible for driving the long term architecture for the company and is currently carving out utility services (for ex. Email Service, File Storage Service) that speeds up the monolith to microservices migration for the company. We do a lot of experimenting with new technologies and frameworks, mapping these to relevant problem spaces in the company and then providing utilities to ease the adoption of such technologies by other engineering teams(for ex. testing out Kafka right now). We also establish standards for engineering practices like code quality, accepted patterns, frameworks etc and frequently provides guidance around their usage.
The challenges we face are highly technical and highly impactful for other engineering teams in the company! We are looking for engineers who are passionate about distributed systems design, performance optimization, software architecture and scalability. We are looking for a strong collaborator who is willing to work with feature development teams to understand their needs from the platform, to design solutions that fulfill their immediate needs but that also establish good patterns for the long-term scalability and maintainability of the application.
How You’ll Contribute:
- Design and build distributed systems for long-term scalability and maintainability
- Collaborate with feature development teams to understand their needs from the platform
- Architect solutions that establish good patterns and fulfill development team needs
- Build tools to enable developer productivity
- Monitor production systems for issues
Who You Are:
- 3+ years of experience working enterprise grade production systems
- Excellent communication and leadership skills for collaborating with other teams
- Solid experience and understanding of maintainable distributed systems
- Ability and willingness to help others succeed and be productive
- Experience working with Go, TypeScript, Node.js
- Experience working with PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with migration from monolith to microservices
- Experience working on horizontal platform teams
Benefits and Perks:
- Meaningful equity and a 401(k) plan
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Wellness benefits covering a variety of wellness activities, gym memberships, fitness classes and more
- Daily meal stipend for non-regularly remote employees during COVID-19 (and lunch, dinner,snacks, and Pizza Fridays provided in offices outside of COVID-19)
- Diversity and inclusion training
- Weekly mindfulness meditation class
- Weekly remote company all-hands
- 4 months of paid parental or personal leave
- Flexible work schedule, with open vacation policy and companywide mental health days during COVID-19
- Work from home office set up stipend and internet stipend during COVID-19
Blend is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, inclusion and belonging. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.