Commercial and Product Counsel
Legal and Compliance
At Blend, we’re dedicated to improving lending. We’re an enterprise technology company, but our product affects the most important purchase most people will make in their lifetime—their home. For homebuyers, our product means a clear, guided path to a new home. For lenders, it means modern, easy-to-use tools that let employees spend their time helping customers, rather than on repetitive, manual tasks. By aligning and modernizing this archaic industry, we believe everybody wins.
We need someone who’s driven to solve hard problems—the harder the better. We’re motivated by the fact that our product won’t just affect the lives of a few people in the Bay Area—it affects people all over America, not to mention a foundational part of the U.S. economy. Founded in 2012 by former Palantir and Intuit leaders, we’re currently backed by Peter Thiel, Andreessen Horowitz and other prominent investors.
As Commercial and Product Counsel, you'll be the lead attorney for commercial and IP issues. You'll also advise internal clients on various legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to commercial transactions, privacy, and data security. As the third member of the Blend Legal team, you’ll contribute to building the Legal team from the ground up and developing the team’s culture.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including SAAS, marketing, and strategic business development and partnership agreements
- Counsel our Business Development, Product, Engineering, and Marketing teams from the initial stages of product development through launch on applicable legal requirements and expectations, including those related to consumer financial protection, privacy, and data security
- Manage risk and ensure business and compliance needs are accurately reflected in agreements
- Continuously improve standard form agreements and legal processes to help scale the legal function
- A minimum of 5+ years of legal experience (including managing, drafting, and negotiating contracts) at either a large firm or in-house legal department (in-house experience at a tech company is a plus)
- Strong track record negotiating a range of complex commercial agreements, including sales, IP licensing, partnerships, and marketing
- Significant experience relating to SaaS centric issues, i.e., privacy and security
- Experience advising clients on and managing numerous deals on tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to work independently and adaptively, anticipate and mitigate friction points, and take initiative to promptly resolve and learn from challenges
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills
- JD, Member of a state bar
Nice to Haves
- Experience negotiating complex software license and related agreements with major enterprise customers
- In-house experience at a major cloud technology vendor