Design – Product Design
Who we are
This ad goes out to all those who want to find a purpose in what they’re doing and take accountability for their work. At Blinkist, we’ve created a meaningful product that is growing fast. Our blinks – key insights from the world’s best nonfiction – inspire more than 10 million people around the globe to keep learning new, exciting things each and every day.
Our app has been named by Apple as one of the very best in the App Store. We’ve received the United Nations World Summit Award in the Learning & Education category, a Google Material Design Award for Brand Expressiveness, as well as an Android Excellence Award.
Why we need you
As our Design Manager, you’ll take on a newly established leadership role within Blinkist’s Design organisation. You will lead a team of designers working across mobile and web; helping to support their growth and enable them to do their best work through well-considered processes, collaborating with stakeholders across the Blinkist organisation and effective mentorship. In this hands-on role, you will also help develop design strategy and take a thoughtful, empathic approach to solving complex customer challenges.
– Lead a team of Product and UI/UX Designers, working across web and mobile to create stellar work
– Connect with Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, Design and other stakeholders to drive the business goals and execute on projects/features
– Develop and drive effective design processes to strengthen a functional and motivated team
– Effectively manage relationships across the organisation in order to resolve any challenges related to cross-functional team work
– Identify high-level customer needs and advocate for them — whilst balancing business needs — to push for exemplary user experience at Blinkist
– Work closely with the Head of Design to help shape and drive Blinkist’s design strategy and vision
– Give insightful and thoughtful critique to help guide team members craft the best design solutions
– Anticipate staffing needs and grow the team by hiring new designers
– Actively contribute and build Blinkist’s design culture internally and externally — whether by giving talks, holding workshops or writing blog posts
– 6+ years of product/UX design experience for web or mobile
– At least 2 years of leading or managing a product design team, ideally in a startup
– A portfolio demonstrating strong UX skills, product thinking and evidence of your ability to ship successful products
– A process-driven mindset; you believe that a transparent, reliable process is part of the key to great design work
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills; you can confidently articulate your decisions, explain your ideas clearly and gain buy-in with stakeholders
– A strong passion for coaching and mentorship; you excel in helping others grow, providing support and advocating for your team members
– Experience developing or contributing to design/product vision and strategy
– Strong interpersonal skills; whether you’re collaborating on projects or resolving conflicts, you can effectively interact with people across different teams and functions
– Deep understanding of design software tools such as Sketch, Framer, Figma, etc.
What’s in it for you
At Blinkist, we offer a fantastic workplace in the heart of Berlin-Neukölln including all the benefits you’d expect – from a personalized perk system to free private language lessons. Add free lunch, a competitive salary, a personal development budget of 1,500€ per year, flexible working hours, and a meaningful product on the rise, and you have a first impression of why Blinkist is a great place to work.
We got rid of classical management hierarchies and, instead, distributed authority among all colleagues. We foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. Not only do we want you to grow into this role, but we want this role to grow with you.
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to help us build the leading destination for the modern lifelong learner, apply now and let us know why you’re the perfect fit for the job!
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it and support it. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.