Senior Backend Engineer – Data Focus
Engineering – Data
Who we are
This ad goes out to all those who want to find a purpose in what they’re doing and take accountability for their work. At Blinkist, we’ve created a meaningful product that is growing fast. Our blinks – key insights from the world’s best nonfiction – help more than 10 million people around the globe to keep learning new, exciting things each and every day.
In 2017, we received the United Nations World Summit Award in the Learning & Education category, a Google Material Design Award for Brand Expressiveness, as well as an Android Excellence Award.
Why we need you
Our data stack has always been a core column in our business success. As Blinkist's data grows (along with the number of users, features, and employees), the mission of setting up efficient, reliable and frictionless data feeds to fuel our operations and decisions becomes crucial.
That’s where you come in! You will work in close collaboration with our analytics and engineering teams building scalable data pipelines, backend systems and tools. Here's how we use our data stack to track mobile and web events, and by the way, our ETL is open source.
– Be a core part of our engineering team and take ownership of managing and extending our data-focused software;
– Develop, implement, and maintain effective, consistent data collection and processing solutions that scale;
– Manage the monitoring and optimization of our internal Kinesis-based event pipeline that supports analytics and machine learning, including real-time personalized recommenders & advanced BI dashboards;
– Work closely with our analysts to understand the business challenges and discover opportunities to provide data in a more performant way;
– Constantly explore and evaluate the implementation of new technologies to address infrastructure scalability and performance challenges;
– Help drive optimization, testing and tooling to improve data quality and span languages as needed, depending on the data processing framework in use.
– IT-Engineering in your DNA: Diploma, M.Sc. or B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, IT, Electrical Engineering or related fields;
– 4+ years of experience in backend engineering or data engineering;
– Experience with distributed systems in production (the foundation of Blinkist);
– Experience with (analytical) SQL databases
– Knowledge of the data-related tools that live within the AWS ecosystem;
– Understanding of recent stream-based technologies like AWS Kinesis/Kafka
– High sense of accountability towards delivering performance and stability;
– Team mindset and eagerness to provide help when needed.
– [Bonus] Experience with AWS Redshift
– [Bonus] Experience with ETL engines and data pipelines
What’s in it for you
At Blinkist, we got rid of classical management hierarchies and, instead, distributed authority among all colleagues. We created our own Blinkist Operating System and foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication, and mutual support.
We offer a fantastic workplace in the heart of Berlin-Neukölln with perks like a yearly personal development budget of 1,600€, free lunch, a gym membership, a public transportation pass, language classes and 30 days of vacation.
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to take part in building the leading destination for the modern lifelong learner, apply now and let us know why you’re the perfect fit for the job!
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it and support it. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.