Senior DevOps / Systems Engineer
Engineering – Backend
Who we are
This ad goes out to all those who want to find a purpose in what they’re doing and take accountability for their work. At Blinkist, we’ve created a meaningful product that is growing fast. Our blinks – key insights from the world’s best nonfiction – inspire more than 10 million people around the globe to keep learning new, exciting things each and every day.
Our app has been named by Apple as one of the very best in the App Store. We’ve received the United Nations World Summit Award in the Learning & Education category, a Google Material Design Award for Brand Expressiveness, as well as an Android Excellence Award.
Why we need you
Blinkist is a digital service with millions of users around the world, and our AWS-powered microservices platform is the backbone of our engineering efforts. We need you to help make this backbone robust and scalable, extend its capabilities, and educate and empower our developers to use it.
On top of that, we want to distribute our infrastructure worldwide to provide a seamless experience to users in every country. You will join our backend team of 14 and work closely with 2 DevOps engineers on designing and implementing the entire Blinkist infrastructure.
The backend team believes in mentorship and learning together - we meet every week to share knowledge from different projects we've been working on. We also participate in the open-source community, hosting meetups and attending conferences and gatherings.
– Extend and improve our container-based, Terraform-managed AWS infrastructure
– Drive the automation of systems and processes to ensure a resilient, self-tuning setup (no PagerDuty)
– Educate developers across the company and provide them with the tools to use the platform autonomously and safely (self-serve infrastructure)
– Curate resilient CI/CD pipelines to allow our developers to build and deploy features quickly and reliably
– Develop systems and processes to seamlessly distribute Blinkist worldwide
– Engage in and foster a culture focused on mentorship and career growth
– Experience and interest in programming, ideally in Go, Python, Ruby, or Shell
– Experience with infrastructure-as-code technologies like Terraform or CloudFormation
– Experience with CI/CD best practices and systems like Jenkins, CircleCI, or TravisCI
– Experience with database management such as MySQL, Postgres, Aurora, MongoDB
– Experience with monitoring and logging such as DataDog, Grafana, ELK stack
– Knowledge of AWS and container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
– Clear communication skills and a diligent mindset: you consider documentation and reproducibility a critical feature, not a nice-to-have
– A constant will to learn and grow, and to share knowledge with others
– A pragmatic approach to solving problems
What’s in it for you
At Blinkist, we got rid of classical management hierarchies and, instead, distributed authority among all colleagues. We created our own Blinkist Operating System and foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication, and mutual support.
We offer a fantastic workplace in the heart of Berlin-Neukölln with perks like a yearly personal development budget of 1,600€, free lunch, a gym membership, a public transportation pass, language classes and 30 days of vacation.
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to take part in building the leading destination for the modern lifelong learner, apply now and let us know why you’re the perfect fit for the job!
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it and support it. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.