Distributed Systems Engineer
New York, NY or Remote
Blockstack is looking for a passionate and experienced distributed systems engineer to help develop, build and deploy a soon-to-be launched blockchain for decentralized apps and Stacks cryptocurrency. This role will work with our back-end engineers and distributed systems experts to implement a new blockchain architecture suitable for Blockstack apps, by decreasing transaction time and cost for the Blockstack ecosystem. This role is ideal for engineers who are experts in peer-to-peer protocol development, familiar with the bitcoin blockchain, and keen to build a clean-slate system from the ground up.
- Research, strategize and educate on methodology and best practices for blockchain design, implementation, and deployment
- Collaborate with a team and open source community to build and implement a blockchain for Blockstack
- Instate monitoring systems for the blockchain’s health
- Help design, implement, and monitor one or more testnets
- Implement rigorous and thorough testing practices to ensure thesecurity and performance goals of blockchain infrastructure
You have worked with a founding team building a blockchain, are an expert in decentralized solutions, and are passionate about our mission of building a new decentralized internet.
- Deliver upon goals for blockchain architecture and development for Blockstack
- Provide key features to be used across the blockstack ecosystem including: decreased transaction times and costs, programmable payment and name management systems, hybrid on-chain/off-chain programming models, protocols for enacting soft forks, deployment and monitor one or more blockchain testnets
- Design and implementation of supporting tools and utilities, such as: a CLI client for the blockchain, a Web client for the blockchain, monitoring utilities, debugging utilities, facilities for checking and analyzing transactions, tools for exploring the blockchain
- Expert knowledge of peer-to-peer distributed system design and implementation, including familiarity with state-of-the-art academic literature on the subject and practical knowledge on engineering successful peer-to-peer systems.
- Experience in the low-level implementation and protocol details of a widely-deployed public blockchain
- Strong Linux engineering background required
- Ability to build and maintain highly available infrastructure
- Competency in monitoring and quick response time in the event of an emergency
- Strong background in security-oriented system design, with a focus on applied cryptography
- Must be able to identify and defend against plausible protocol-level and network-level attacks on the system.
- Experience deploying Bitcoin infrastructure, like UTXO providers and block explorers
Qualities + Traits
- Desire to build a new internet with Blockstack
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to think fast and thoroughly
- Excellent communication