Osler Foundation | Associate Director, Major Gifts
William Osler Health System Foundation /
Bloom is a full-service workplace design consultancy representing William Osler Health System Foundation (Osler Foundation) on their search for an Associate Director, Major Gifts to join their team. As Talent Advisors, we will be the liaison between Osler Foundation and yourself during this recruitment process. We do not use fancy tech to search through resumes at Bloom; every resume is reviewed by a human to ensure that we attain a consistent and equitable interview process. You will directly join the team at Osler Foundation if you are selected as a successful candidate. We look forward to receiving your application!
ABOUT William Osler Health System
Hi! I’m Shelagh Barry, Vice-President, Development at Osler Foundation. I’ve spent the last 8 years with Osler Foundation being a part of tremendous growth and change within Osler Foundation and the community. I love my job, not only because of the incredible team I am privileged to work with but because our work inspires our community to invest in exceptional health care close to home.
I believe the key to an excellent Associate Director of Major Gifts is not just the technical skills and experience required but the ability to form relationships–even with people you’ve never met before. Being able to ask the right questions, actively listening and believing in Osler Foundation’s mission are important in being successful in this role.
I invite you to join me for a conversation about your interest in Osler Foundation, have the chance to meet members of our incredible team and tell me more about how your career aspirations align with our vision, mission and values.
The Associate Director, Major Gifts will report to me and will be a main driver and contributor to the Major Gifts portfolio at Osler Foundation. You will be involved with all Major Gift fundraising activities, including planning, researching, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major donor relationships. The ideal candidate is mission-driven, with a strong call to supporting community health care, and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Osler Foundation is the fundraising arm of William Osler Health System. Osler serves 1.3 million people in Brampton, Caledon, North Mississauga, Etobicoke, and the surrounding region. This is one of the fastest-growing and most ethnically diverse regions of Canada.
Osler Foundation builds and fosters relationships in our hospitals and the community to raise funds to support the clinical priorities at Brampton Civic Hospital and Etobicoke General Hospital, Osler’s two acute-care sites, and Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness. Osler Foundation is embarking on an exciting campaign to help build and equip Brampton’s second hospital and improve cancer care in our region.
As part of the Osler family, we are committed to providing a fulfilling work environment that inspires our staff to learn, innovate and grow. Year after year, Osler is proud to be recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
Osler Foundation is equally committed to supporting our employees through flexible work arrangements, professional development, and a commitment to creating an environment of inclusiveness and belonging. Our team members are highly effective leaders, instructors, and mentors within the philanthropy sector with the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and Association of Healthcare Philanthropists (AHP), including past Chair, AFP Canada and AFP Fundraiser of the Year, 2019.
- You will design, develop and implement strategies unique to each individual prospect or donor throughout the entire cycle of a major gift, including cultivation, solicitation, administration, activation of the gift and stewardship.
- You will manage a pipeline of ~125 prospects and donors, including completing discovery calls for identified prospects.
- You will set and achieve fundraising objectives with an annual personal revenue goal of $1.5 million.
- You will identify Planned Giving prospects and build and nurture relationships with these prospects and potential donors.
- You will build and maintain positive relationships with Osler Foundation colleagues and Osler’s leadership, physicians, staff, and volunteers on fundraising-related initiatives.
- You will engage with the community as a representative of Osler Foundation by attending and assisting at events and fundraising functions, as required.
- You will represent Osler Foundation on various campaign cabinets and committees, as required.
- You will collaborate with the Vice-President, Development and contribute to the Major Gifts annual business plan and budget.
- You will collaborate with the Community Giving team on initiatives including Major Gift and Community Giving prospects and donors.
- You will collaborate and guide Osler Foundation staff, who will provide the tools required to advance your work (proposals, impact reports, presentation decks, gift processing, stewardship activities, etc.).
- You will manage and mentor three (3) full-time direct reports on your team.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TEAM:
- You have a University degree, College diploma, and/or relevant professional experience in Philanthropy.
- You have demonstrated experience in major gifts and capital campaigns in all stages of the donor cycle.
- You have professional experience and proven results in developing new fundraising opportunities in the community.
- You have experience leading a team and creating a collaborative and results-driven environment to achieve fundraising goals.
- You have experience successfully managing and leading direct reports and volunteers.
- You have demonstrated excellence in written/oral communications, relationship building and teamwork.
- You have an interest and desire to adopt and embrace data and advanced analytics to maximize effectiveness in the role.
- You have experience working with diverse communities and strong knowledge of South Asian -Canadian community organizations, local leaders, media and community events.
- You have excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- You can communicate the vision and key messages of Osler and Osler Foundation to the community.
- You can proficiently work in all MS Office tools and Raiser’s Edge.
- You hold a current driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
- You are open to working flexible hours in an environment where your role constantly evolves.
It is a strong asset if…
- You have a CFRE or FAHP designation.
- You have health care/hospital industry experience.
- You can speak Punjabi, Hindi or Urdu as a second language.
$85,000 - $118,000 a year
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed above. We believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and are excited about this opportunity, we want to hear from you!
How We Hire
Like Bloom, William Osler Health System Foundation is committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, the William Osler Health System Foundation team will not be responding to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities.
The Interview Process
Round 1: 30-minute Phone screen with Jade, Sr. Talent Advisor from Bloom
Round 2: 60-minute Remote Interview with Shelagh Barry (VP of development), Nicole McCahon (Senior Vice President, Philanthropy), Corinne (VP of Operations) & Kathleen Killen (consultant) to discuss Behavioural/Vision Alignment.
Round 3: 45-minute Remote Interview with Nicole, Shelagh & the President/CEO
> Conduct References and Criminal/ Educational Background Checks.
Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness, with periodic travel to Etobicoke General Hospital and Brampton Civic Hospital. Working in a hybrid model (2-3x in the office per week).
Benefits at William Osler Health System Foundation
- A comprehensive benefits package including a defined-benefit pension plan (HOOPP), and outstanding health/dental benefits.
- Four (4) weeks of PTO/ Vacation Days
- A Prorated Annual Performance Bonus
- The ability to collect Lieu Hours for any overtime work.
- Learning & development budget for any Professional Association fees related to the role (e.g. Association of Fundraising Professionals) are reimbursed, and allowances for training related to the position are available.
- A dynamic and professional State-of-the-art accessible facility in a hospital environment located close to major highways in Brampton, Ontario.
- A highly collaborative team environment with the opportunity to participate in first-in-class fundraising events
Like Bloom, Osler Foundation is an equal-opportunity employer. We value inclusivity and diversity in the workplace and welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. Our commitment to equity is grounded in an institution-wide commitment to achieving a working, teaching, and learning environment free of discrimination and harassment.
We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation or accessibility-related assistance at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us through your application or contact Jade, Sr. Talent Advisor at email@example.com,
To ensure a consistent and equitable interview process, we take a high level of care with every application. Our process may be longer than others because we take an inclusive and intentional approach to reviewing every application we receive.