Commissary Team Lead
Production – Production
About the Job:
Blue Bottle has been writing a new chapter to the story and traditions of coffee and hospitality, and we have launched new menu items as part of taking our food aspirations to a whole new level. Our kitchen teams are dedicated to making delicious, sustainable, and creative food for our guests with the highest-quality, regionally sourced ingredients available.
This is a full-time, hourly position with room to grow within this exciting and expanding culinary program.
- Develop a thorough understanding and knowledge of all of the recipes produced in the kitchen and always lead by example in producing those recipes in line with our highest production standards
- Support team members through the creation of our delicious items by overseeing and participating in ingredient preparation, baking, chopping and mixing
- Collaborate with the entire team professionally, respectfully and with integrity
- Fulfill and organize orders with precision, this includes preparing, packing and shipping
- Support and help ensure completion of daily cleaning regimen of our kitchen spaces
- Partner with the Commissary Leader to codify recipe guidelines, recipe and equipment testing and production process
- Collaborate with the Commissary Leader on skill assessment for each of our commissary team members
- Continually provide the Commissary Leader with feedback on improving systems, teammates and skill learning opportunities.
- Provide general Quality Control (QC) of all items produced in our commissaries: troubleshoot and resolve inconsistencies or QC issues with commissary leader and team
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate thoughtful and effective training for both new and seasoned culinary team members, with a focus on technical culinary skills, internal hospitality and Blue Bottle’s values
- A team player and thrive in environments where teamwork is needed to successfully accomplish a task
- Able to work in a fast paced environment while remaining accurate and calm.
- Someone who enthusiastically shares your knowledge and passion with others and thrives in helping groups of others learn especially when ‘geeking out’ on food
- A role model for others who is a shining example of our food quality and hospitality standards in how you approach preparation
- A fantastic teacher who loves coaching others and is patient and adaptive in helping learners of different styles and backgrounds succeed
- A superb and direct communicator who imparts information to individuals or large groups effectively and delivers constructive feedback in a way that is effective and kind
- Professional and reliable - your leader, teammates in your cafe, and colleagues in other departments can always depend on you and get a timely response or assistance
- A love and respect of delicious food, coffee and pastries
- The ability to work five days per week, including at least one weekend day
- 2+ years kitchen experience, preferable in a high paced, commissary
- Incredible attention to detail
- Experience and comfort working with computers and software
- English reading and writing comprehension
- This role is a physical one and the physical demands outlined below are representative of those that must be met for a team member to be successful in the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job which we’ve mapped out below.
- The ability to stand, walk, sit for long periods of time (at least 8 hours per day and 5 days per week)
- The use of hands to handle or feel and the ability to reach with hands and arm
- The ability to stoop, kneel, or crouch
- The ability to squat, bend, twist and reach for items below waist level or above shoulders
- The ability to lift, push/pull, carry and/or move up to 50 pounds
- The ability to listen and speak
- The ability to climb ladders, stairs, ramps and uneven floor and/or surfaces as needed
- The ability to have close visual acuity to perform repetitive visual checking, counting, spotting small defects, determine accuracy of numbers and package
- The ability to smell and taste
A few benefits we offer
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes and a complimentary bag of beans to take home each week
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
At Blue Bottle, you’ll be critical to guests enjoying delicious coffee. We aim to provide delightful hospitality to everyone who visits us, in-person or online. If you’re ready to help bring amazing products to life, please apply and join us.
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale, or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.