Oakland, CA /
Brand – Brand Experience /
Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate and growing team of hundreds around the world, united by the simple purpose of connecting the world to delicious coffee. We roast on four coasts, make delicious drinks, clean up after ourselves, bake cookies, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you. We’re an impossibly eclectic group of coffee experts, artists, writers, sensory scientists, bakers, designers, and all-around dreamers, who also happen to be some of the most hard-working and talented in the business. Join us.
About the job
The Production Designer supports the design and production team in delivering beautiful designs that evolve our visual narrative. While we have an established aesthetic, our ethos (whether about the cafe experience, the coffee itself, or how we engage with our guests) is about never being satisfied with the status quo, always evolving, and always improving. The person in this position will champion that endeavor by bringing design ideas to life. Part of a small and collaborative team, the Production Designer will have the opportunity to learn from close collaboration with a supportive and driven creative team.
This is a salaried position based out of Oakland reporting directly to the Senior Designer and working closely with the creative team of designers and writers.
- Create final mechanical files for print and digital production, with close attention to detail
- Provide graphic design support in a fast-paced environment with a solid understanding of thoughtful layout and typography
- Collaborate with design and content teams to ensure projects are completed on time and in line with design specifications
- Own and maintain a comprehensive library of design assets for reusable, systematic designs
- Partner with cross-functional partners (such as, Retail, Production, Marketing teams, etc.) to ensure expectations are met on project timelines and deliverables
- Work with print vendors to ensure quality and delivery meets expectations
- Meticulously organized and extremely detail oriented.
- Deeply empathetic, always taking the viewpoint of our guests and how to delight them
- A professional: you are serious about your work without taking yourself too seriously
- Intensely collaborative; you work best in a participatory team environment
- Delightful to work with, always bringing a sense of humor and infectious ‘can-do’ attitude
- Intrigued by retail branding
- Bachelor’s degree in a design discipline or related field
- Proficiency in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop and other design software
- 2+ years of Print production experience
- An expert eye for color and typography
- Last but not least, a deep love for great coffee, food, and exceptional guest experiences
- The following is a list of the physical activity, requirements, and environmental factors related to this role. Blue Bottle is committed to partnering with all candidates and employees to ensure reasonable accommodations are made to meet the following:
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal and written documentation
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasionally walking, climbing stairs, and standing occur in this role.
- Environment: this role is protected within a building, but may be exposed to mild changes in temperature with heating or air conditioning.
A few benefits we offer
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
At Blue Bottle Coffee, you’ll be a vital part of our guests’ experience and a crucial link in delivering the most delicious coffee we can find to every person who walks through our doors, be it in person or online. If you’re ready to bring beautiful and thoughtfully rendered experiences to life, please apply and join us.
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale, or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.