Staff Data Scientist
New York City
Bluecore is looking for a Staff Data Scientist with strong mathematical background to work alongside our engineering teams to build the next generation of retail and commerce models that empower marketers. The ideal candidate is one that has several years of experience researching, building, and maintaining data science models at scale. They have first-hand experience with what works and what doesn’t, and are eager to share this experience with both junior and senior team members, providing technical mentorship and leadership. They are also able to and excited to help architect and build out the data science infrastructure needed to accelerate innovation on models and facilitate serving and maintaining them. Finally, they should be curious and eager to identify and explore the myriad of other products that can be built on our data asset. Our culture emphasizes making good tradeoffs, working as a team, and leaving your ego at the door.
First-party data is at the core of everything we build and the Data Science team at Bluecore is at the forefront of exploring innovative and exciting ways to activate that data asset. We’re a dedicated team of data scientists and engineers working together to build powerful models that empower marketers to make the right decisions and engage their customers with personalized content. Our approach to building models is an academic one, starting with a literature search, a baseline, and an iterative process of training and validation to identify the most suitable model that is as simple as possible and as powerful as necessary. We employ a wide variety of models, such as reinforcement learning for determining optimal content and timing of emails, Bayesian models for predicting customer lifetime value, and matrix factorization to identify a customer’s product affinity. Our models operate at scale and crunch through millions of data points to make decisions that have been shown to double revenue and triple reach, and are designed in a flexible manner to generalize across our set of 300+ diverse customers who span industries from apparel to automotive. To explore, build, deploy and maintain models we leverage many tools such as BigQuery, Spark, Cloud SQL, Keras, TensorFlow, Airflow, Google App Engine and Google Compute Engine. Finally, we’re a team that values applied research and constantly exploring the frontier of what’s possible; diving into topics such as topic modeling, restricted Boltzmann machines, recurrent neural networks, convolutional neural networks for image feature extraction, and most recently an extensive dive into differential privacy.
- Meticulous experimentation to evaluate and compare models.
- Work closely with engineers to deploy models to production and maintain them.
- Write internal and external facing documentation describing models and approaches, such as wiki pages, blog posts or journal papers.
- Identify new opportunities to leverage our data assets.
- Propose and drive large-scale technical initiatives.
- Explore new infrastructure solutions to accelerate the pace of model exploration and improve model serving and maintenance.
- Meet with customers to discuss our machine learning models and roadmap.
- Be a technical mentor for junior and senior team members.
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or other relevant quantitative disciplines, or equivalent industry experience.
- 8+ years of experience as an individual contributor, developing innovative machine learning solutions.
- Relevant experience in the fields of Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization.
- Deep understanding of statistical/probabilistic analysis and Linear Algebra.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills.
- Experience in technical mentorship and leadership.
- Ability to write production-ready code.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Optimization.
- Experience with ML at scale and scale computing (Hadoop/Scala/Spark/Cassandra).
- Strong proficiency in SQL.
- Highly competitive compensation package including salary and equity as well as the opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing marketing technology companies
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Monthly fitness stipend for a gym membership or fitness classes
- Monthly public transportation
- Generous Parental Leave & flexible vacation policy
At Bluecore we believe in fostering an inclusive environment in which employees feel encouraged to share their unique perspectives, leverage their strengths, and act authentically. We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those from all backgrounds and varying experiences.
Bluecore is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fair hiring practices and to creating a welcoming environment for all team members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, familial status or veteran status.