2020-2021 Blue Engine Teaching Apprentice (BETA)
New York, NY
Blue Engine Teaching Apprentice – 2020-2021 BETA Cohort
About Blue Engine
Blue Engine empowers schools to create and support multi-adult classrooms to accelerate learning for all students. Through its AmeriCorps model, Blue Engine partners with school leaders, teachers, and Blue Engine Teaching Apprentices (BETAs) to create dramatic academic gains in English Language Arts (ELA) or Math. Blue Engine recruits, trains, and matches a team of BETAs with a certified teacher and Blue Engine coach in ELA or Math in middle and high school classroom. More adults in the classroom reduces the student to teacher ratio from about 30:1 to 6:1, providing significantly more instructional hours during class and before/after school and allowing for individualized instruction for students. It also enables all the adults on the team to build authentic relationships with all students in the classroom. The BETA team collaboration allows for daily student-centered reflection and learning that improves teacher practice. No student goes unseen or unheard.
Blue Engine's model helps a diverse, local wave of educators enter the teaching profession through an apprenticeship as a BETA, teaching alongside a team for one or two years with the opportunity to earn their teaching credentials in their second year through Relay Graduate School of Education.
As a Blue Engine Teaching Apprentice (BETA) you will implement Blue Engine’s team teaching model by collaborating with a team (including one - two other BETAs and one certified teacher) to reimagine the classroom in service of maximizing student academic gains and improving students’ classroom experience. BETAs achieve this by:
- Providing small group instruction
- Setting and maintaining high expectations for students
- Executing student goal-setting conferences
- Collecting and analyzing student data
- Building relationships with students in service of their academic growth
- Building relationships with teachers and peers to build expertise as novice educators
Becoming a BETA is a great way to explore the teaching profession and develop professional skills in a supportive and forward-thinking environment and/or grow as a leader and professional before pursuing other paths. After completing one year of service as a BETA there is an opportunity to apply and serve a second year as a Team Coordinator (TC).
Long-term Interest in becoming a teacher, prior education experience, and prior AmeriCorps experience are not required to become a BETA.
- Serve as full-time AmeriCorps Service Member from August 2020 - June 2021 in NYC
- This includes completing five weeks of onboarding (training) in August
- Support in the daily instruction of students in either middle or high school ELA or Math
- Support the preparation of classroom materials
- Participate in classroom planning, tracking and analyzing student data, and grading student assignments
- Tutor students during lunch and/or after-school
- Uphold the expectations of the school and classroom to support student learning and growth
- Bachelor’s Degree. All majors are welcome to apply. You must have received your bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by the first day of Blue Engine’s summer onboarding in August.
- Preferred minimum GPA of 2.75, but applicants with a minimum of 2.50 Minimum GPA (undergrad) are eligible to apply You must have a cumulative 2.50 GPA on a 4.00 scale from an accredited college or university upon graduation.
- US Citizenship or National / Permanent Resident Status
- BETAs must be cleared through background and security checks prior to beginning their year of service.
- Curious about an apprenticeship model to implement a team teaching approach within NYC middle and high school ELA and Math classrooms
- Interest in working on a team
- Interest in collaborating with others
- Interest in learning & developing through feedback
- Flexible and can adapt to the often fast-paced and changing school environment
- Interest in understanding cultural values, biases, and differences in self and others
- Ability to deliver high quality work
- Living stipend
- Eligible for AmeriCorps Segal Education award of $6,095 upon successful completion as a full-time member of the program (1700 hours of service)
- Unlimited MetroCard for public transportation use (subways, buses) or a travel reimbursement up to $127.00
- Health Insurance through the Corps Network Health Plan
- Eligible for Student Loan Forbearance during your year of service
Blue Engine is more than an “equal opportunity employer.” We acknowledge the roles we play and leaders in the very tangible systems of oppression and racism that exist in our communities and classrooms and strive to be an actively anti-racist organization. We believe that by assembling diverse and inclusive teams, we can build alliances that fundamentally disrupt and dismantle these systems at their root.
Learn More About Us