2019 - 2020 Blue Engine Teaching Apprentice
New York, NY
Blue Engine Teaching Apprentice – 2019-2020 BETA Cohort
Blue Engine partners with school leaders, teachers, and Blue Engine Teaching Apprentices (BETAs) to create dramatic academic gains in gateway subjects. Blue Engine recruits, trains, and matches a team of BETAs with a teacher in English Language Arts (ELA) or Math in grades 6 through 11. More adults in the classroom reduces the teacher to student ratio from about 30:1 to 6:1, provides significantly more instructional hours during class and before/after school, and individualizes instruction. It also enables teachers to build authentic relationships with all students in the classroom. The teacher-BETA collaboration enables daily student-centered reflection and learning that improves teacher practice. No student goes unseen or unheard.
At the same time, Blue Engine's model helps a diverse, local wave of educators enter the teaching profession through an apprenticeship (as a BETA and AmeriCorps member), teaching alongside a team for one or two years with the opportunity to earn their teaching credentials in their second year through Relay Graduate School of Education.
As a BETA you will activate Blue Engine’s team teaching model, collaborating with a diverse group of educators to reimagine the classroom in service of maximizing student academic gains and improving student classroom experience.
- BETAs devote 10 or 20 months of service (as AmeriCorps members) in partnership with certified department of education teachers in critical gateway skills; middle and high school Math and English Language Arts.
- BETAs complete five weeks of onboarding in August and receive consistent support throughout the school year.
- While they are not the lead teacher in the classroom, BETAs are responsible for many key instructional responsibilities, including attending staff/teacher meetings, preparing for lessons, tutoring, grading, attending school events, and making parent phone calls.
- Upon completing the year of service, BETAs have the option to apply for a second year as a Team Coordinator, where they mentor a team of BETAs, and can choose to enroll in Blue Engine’s teacher residency program at Relay Graduate School of Education to become a certified, full-time teacher.
- Bachelor’s Degree. You must have received your bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by the first day of Blue Engine’s summer onboarding in August.
- 2.50 Minimum GPA (undergrad). You must have a cumulative 2.50 GPA on a 4.00 scale from an accredited college or university upon graduation.
- US Citizenship or National / Permanent Resident Status.
- BETAs must be cleared through background and security checks prior to beginning their year of service.
- Interest in becoming a teacher, prior education experience, and prior AmeriCorps experience are not required to become a BETA.
- Is curious about an apprenticeship model to implement a team teaching approach within NYC middle and high school classrooms
- Is motivated by building relationships and working on a team
- Is interested in collaborating with others and learning & developing through feedback
- Is flexible and can adapt to the often fast paced and changing school environment
Blue Engine is more than an “equal opportunity employer.” We acknowledge the roles we play as educators and leaders in the very tangible systems of oppression and racism that exist in our communities and classrooms and strive to be an actively anti-racist organization. We believe that by assembling diverse and inclusive teams, we can build alliances that fundamentally disrupt and dismantle these systems at their root.
Learn More About Us