New York, NY /
Operations – Operations /
Title: Operations Coordinator
Location: This role is based in NYC (with 75% of work able to be completed remotely and 25% completed in NYC office)
Start Date: November/December 2021
Who We Are
Blue Engine is an education nonprofit that optimizes the power of team teaching, the approach of having multiple teachers work together in a classroom in service of a shared outcome for students. We partner with teachers, schools, districts, and education organizations to ensure that educators can effectively collaborate and individualize instruction for every learner—regardless of race, income level, or learning style. In doing so, Blue Engine delivers mindset shifts and effective practices for teachers and engaging, identity-affirming learning experiences for students.
This approach has yielded dramatic gains in academic achievement: Algebra students in BE classrooms demonstrate six additional months of learning in a single school year. The COVID-19 pandemic has only exacerbated the existing inequities that affect low-income students from marginalized communities. Blue Engine programs are uniquely positioned to ensure students are seen as individuals and instruction is tailored to their needs by removing barriers and increasing accessibility. After more than a decade of operating in New York City, Blue Engine is expanding its impact to different geographies, including Washington, DC and Louisiana.
Blue Engine is seeking an Operations Coordinator to serve as the operational lynchpin for the Development team & Operations team. The ideal candidate will personally connect with Blue Engine’s mission and our commitment to assembling diverse, inclusive, and actively anti-racist teams to disrupt and dismantle systems of oppression at their root. While this role will report directly to the VP, Talent & Operations, this person will be responsible for broadly ensuring that both the Development and Operations teams are functioning optimally to meet Blue Engine’s ambitious growth goals. The Operations Coordinator will be responsible for developing and maintaining systems and structures that allow team members to quickly and easily understand the status of critical workstreams such as compliance, revenue, hiring, etc.
This role is the perfect opportunity for someone who is interested in gaining a diverse range of experiences within a non-profit and is just as comfortable digging into the details of a spreadsheet as they are managing up to senior leaders. The ideal candidate thrives on creating efficiencies, loves to dig into the details without losing sight of long-term goals, has a customer-service orientation, and is passionate about rolling up their sleeves to do the behind-the-scenes work that enables the broader team to do their best work.
Primary Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Ensure timely and accurate finance management and tracking in order to provide organizational leadership with the information needed to make informed decisions.
- Process all checks, donations, and grants to ensure financial tracking and recordkeeping is accurate
- Manage Concur and other finance databases to ensure accurate coding of expenses and contributions
- Process payments and reimbursements, coordinating appropriate documentation and approvals weekly
- Support preparation of financial information to ensure accurate monthly financial statements
- Support annual audit with VP, Talent & Operations to maintain an error-free and accurate financial system
- Run payroll, making updates each pay period to ensure accuracy and timelines
- Maintain donor database, conduct prospect research, and manage gift processing for efficient and effective fundraising.
- Maintain and refine systems for internal development operations, progress to goal tracking, historical fundraising data, and fill data requests as needed
- Perform database administration tasks including: creating and updating records within Salesforce and running quality control reports to ensure data accuracy and integrity within the Salesforce system
- Ensure giving information flows between Development and Operations departments in a clear and timely manner
- Conduct prospect research and develop meeting briefs for CEO and Chief Development & Communications Officer
- Manage the entry, reconciliation, and acknowledgement process for all gifts in a timely and appropriate manner
- Support hiring processes and onboarding across all teams within the organization to ensure mission-aligned hires through processes that reinforce our foundational commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity.
- Update/maintain job postings and source candidates
- Review candidate applications
- Independently conduct initial candidate phone screen interviews and participate in interview debrief discussions with hiring team
- Serve as primary contact for candidates during the interview process, scheduling interviews at each stage of the process.
- Monitor and update applicant tracking system (Lever)
- Provide general administrative assistance and manage all operational systems and technology so that all staff have smooth, supportive work environments.
- Ensure all staff have the physical and technological resources they need, particularly in a remote context
- Serve as the primary office manager, checking and directing mail, and receiving, responding to, or redirecting general emails and phone calls, and conducting other administrative work (e.g. - photocopying, data management, etc.) as needed
- Manage relationships with vendors to ensure timely delivery of services and troubleshoot any issues for staff (including event logistics for staff/Board meetings as necessary)
- Maintain and improve system for accurate collection and secure organization of all staff and HR files (i.e. HRIS systems, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc)
- Ensure organizational compliance with all HR, insurance, and other policies
- Champion Blue Engine’s mission & demonstrate strong alignment with organizational culture and values.
- Be a champion of BE’s mission and operate with a “students first” mentality
Proactively give constructive feedback to help Blue Engine continuously improve
- Uphold and live out our Core Values and commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusiveness and anti-racism
- Participate in collective organization-wide responsibilities and events
Who We Need
Our belief in teams extends beyond the classrooms we serve; we know that we are better together than we are as individuals. The Development & Operations teams provide critical resources that enable our entire organization to best serve students and teachers. Blue Engine needs a Coordinator who is detail-oriented; demonstrates professional behavior and values; and is resourceful, responsible, highly-organized, tenacious, independent, and honest. We are looking for a person with exceptional attention to detail and strong interpersonal skills to manage across all levels of the organization. The ideal candidate will personally connect with Blue Engine’s mission and our commitment to assembling diverse, inclusive, and actively anti-racist teams to disrupt and dismantle systems of oppression at their root.
Specifically, we are searching for an individual who possesses the following skills and mindsets:
- 1-3 years of professional experience; previous operations (general and/or development-specific) or HR experience preferred
- Excited to maintain, refine, and design operational systems and tools
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Adaptive and quick learner who is comfortable working across multiple platforms
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Keen understanding of the beliefs, contexts, and motivations of others
- Motivated by building relationships, working on a team, and achieving results through others
- Comfortable managing up and laterally to reach outcomes
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Appetite for working through ambiguity and leading through change
- Is reflective, open to feedback and demonstrates a growth mindset
- Familiarity with CRMs (i.e. - Salesforce) and/or ATS/payroll software (i.e. - Lever, ADP) a plus
The salary range for this role is $45,000 - $55,000. Compensation for this role will depend on a number of factors, including qualifications and experience, as well as internal equity alignment. Blue Engine employees are provided comprehensive benefits, including six weeks paid time off.
Applicants should submit their application (resume & application questions) below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
OUR APPROACH TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSIVITY
Blue Engine is more than an “equal opportunity employer.” We acknowledge the roles we play as educators and leaders in the systems of oppression and racism that exist in our city, our communities, and our classrooms, and strive to become an actively anti-racist organization. We do this first by articulating the value of diversity, inclusivity, and equity as separate yet interwoven concepts; we evaluate decisions and policies through the lens of diversity, inclusivity, and equity; we pursue opportunities for continued learning about how historic and current systems of oppression manifest in individuals and organizations; we strive to increase our collective awareness of the cultural values, biases, and differences in self and others; we utilize skills of interruption to bring to bear cultural breaches along the lines of diversity, inclusivity, and anti-racism and combine these approaches to embrace and resolve conflict while fostering growth. We make this commitment because we know it enables us to more meaningfully connect with each other, our students, and the communities in which we work.