Data Scientist/Lead Data Scientist
About the Role
Data Scientists and Lead Data Scientists use a combination of statistics, programming, and domain knowledge to solve problems, ranging from customized solutions for specific clients to creating the methodological backbone for our general purpose products. They have strong technical skills and are also creative thinkers who are always looking to innovate and deliver value to our clients. They aren’t afraid of messy data, and are comfortable working in a fast paced, production-oriented environment.
- Analyzes data, as well as contributes to the design, implementation, and delivery of analytics products and services.
- Builds predictive models, tools, and data visualizations.
- Oversees and/or leads research development project and data science project plans for clients and internal initiatives.
- Strives to support team excellence by documenting processes and evangelizing new approaches.
You probably have...
- At least 4 years working in a quantitative production environment or a postgraduate degree in a quantitative field.
- Advanced understanding of a statistical programming language such as R, Python, or Julia.
- Experience building predictive models using regression and machine learning techniques.
- Ability to manipulate data with SQL.
- Proven experience creating analytics output within a production-oriented team.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, both in writing and verbally.
You may have...
- Publications, working papers, or conference presentations in a quantitative field.
- Experience managing diverse, multi-disciplinary teams and mentoring staff.
- Knowledge of experimental design and causal inference.
- Ability to create user interfaces for new products using frameworks such as Shiny or Django.
- Experience with GIS.
- Experience creating informative and engaging data visualizations using industry leading tools.
We know that the best candidate may not fit neatly into the boxes we define here so if this sounds like a place you want to work, even if you're not confident you perfectly match our posting, we still encourage you to apply! We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Facebook page, Twitter, or Instagram.
BlueLabs was formed in early 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America analytics team. We help organizations personalize their engagements with individuals, optimize communications, and achieve their strategic goals. Our team includes more than 40 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Through our work, we’ve directly and measurably improved the health and financial security of millions of Americans.
Since 2013, we’ve served more than 300 organizations, run more than 1,000 randomized experiments, built hundreds of models, generated over 6 billion touch points, reached virtually every contactable person in the United States, and driven significant improvements in some of the highest-profile private sector, advocacy, and government programs around the world. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
Our clients range from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as global companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries.
BlueLabs is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in New York City.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity Policy:
BlueLabs believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful partner for our clients. We’re committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veterans status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.