Based in Washington D.C, BlueLabs was formed in early 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America analytics team. We help organizations personalize their engagements with individuals, optimize communications, and achieve their strategic goals. Our team includes more than 40 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Through our work, we’ve directly and measurably improved the health and financial security of millions of Americans.
Since 2013, we’ve served more than 300 organizations, run more than 1,000 randomized experiments, built hundreds of models, generated over 6 billion touch points, reached virtually every contactable person in the United States, and driven significant improvements in some of the highest-profile private sector, advocacy, and government programs around the world. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
Our clients range from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as global companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries.
Who You Are
You are a software engineer or developer, and you want to make a difference. You want to work at an organization where the people care about what they are doing and work hard to achieve it.
We’re not building a team for a day—this is a project for the long haul. More than anything else, we’re looking for people who are excited by our mission, love to create, are honest about what they know, fascinated by what they don’t, and relish the opportunity to work with people who value the same.
We know that the best candidate may not fit neatly into the boxes we define here so if this sounds like a place you want to work, even if you’re not confident you perfectly match our posting, we still encourage you to apply! We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Facebook page, Twitter, or Instagram.
As part of the engineering team at BlueLabs, you’ll...
- Design. We’re working on some challenging engineering problems, and our engineers are driving the process of solving those problems. You'll need to understand the problem and define it. Your own expertise and experience will help us design the solution we need.
- Collaborate. Every project benefits from diverse viewpoints from the very beginning, and so you’ll work closely with our clients and with our analysts, data scientists, and other engineers to develop the technology that empowers them to run data-driven programs.
- Explore. Technology—especially around data and analytics—is moving fast, and we need to stay nimble. That means trying new things. They won’t always be the ultimate solutions, but they’re an important part of the path to getting there.
- Build. You won’t just write code. You’ll build apps, systems, and solutions that are challenging, exciting, and long-lasting.
As a Software Engineer at BlueLabs:
- You and the rest of the team will lay the foundation for an exciting new approach to analytics.
- You will help architect and implement the tools and infrastructure that are behind the day-to-day work of our analysts and many others.
- You will work with our analysts to create sophisticated tools and engines to acquire, transform, analyze, and present data to solve real customer problems.
- And sometimes you will get your hands dirty working on those problems directly as part of a cross-disciplinary analytics team working with a client.
- Understand the basics of a specialty - e.g., web frontend, API backend, data engineering.
- Love to learn about new technologies and be dedicated to expanding your skills every day
- Get excited about data, visualization, analytics or just plain problem solving
You will stand out as a candidate if you have...
- Demonstrated interest in using data and technology to advance social good in areas like health, education or civic engagement
- Experience with functional programming in Scala (which we use), Clojure, Haskell, or another language
- Worked with SQL databases in the past, especially if you have built complex SQL pipelines (with analytic functions, nested queries, and more) on an MPP SQL database system, such as Redshift or Vertica
- Designed data visualizations using libraries like D3
- Experience deploying applications in an AWS environment using automation tools such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet, and cluster management/orchestration software like Mesos, Docker, and Zookeeper.
- Experience building distributed data processing systems using tools like Spark, Kafka, Storm, or Hadoop
We know that the best candidate may not fit neatly into the boxes we define here so if this sounds like a place you want to work, even if you're not confident you perfectly match our posting, we still encourage you to apply! We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Facebook page, Twitter, or Instagram.
BlueLabs believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful partner for our clients. We’re committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veterans status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.