About the Role
Who You Are
You are a software engineer or developer, and you want to make a difference. You want to work at an organization where the people care about what they are doing and work hard to achieve it.
We’re not building a team for a day—this is a project for the long haul. More than anything else, we’re looking for people who are excited by our mission, love to create, are honest about what they know, fascinated by what they don’t, and relish the opportunity to work with people who value the same.
We know that the best candidate may not fit neatly into the boxes we define here so if this sounds like a place you want to work, even if you’re not confident you perfectly match our posting, we still encourage you to apply! We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Facebook page, Twitter, or Instagram.
As part of the engineering team at BlueLabs, you’ll...
- Design. We’re working on some challenging engineering problems, and our engineers are driving the process of solving those problems. You'll need to understand the problem and define it. Your own expertise and experience will help us design the solution we need.
- Collaborate. Every project benefits from diverse viewpoints from the very beginning, and so you’ll work closely with our clients and with our analysts, data scientists, and other engineers to develop the technology that empowers them to run data-driven programs.
- Explore. Technology—especially around data and analytics—is moving fast, and we need to stay nimble. That means trying new things. They won’t always be the ultimate solutions, but they’re an important part of the path to getting there.
- Build. You won’t just write code. You’ll build apps, systems, and solutions that are challenging, exciting, and long-lasting.
As a DevOps Engineer at BlueLabs, you'll...
- Take a lead role in nurturing an environment of joint responsibility with the rest of the engineering team for the deployment, availability, and performance of our infrastructure, through coaching, tool building, and more.
- Ensure the reliability, security, and performance of our SaaS stack
- Develop deployment solutions for the applications that power the day-to-day work of our analysts and clients
- Manage our central logging, monitoring, and continuous integration solutions
- Enjoy automating tasks that make sense to automate
- Know techniques for keeping systems available and providing visibility when they're not
- Have performed nontrivial deployments of web applications, data pipelines, etc
- Have a good grasp of Linux systems, networking and security
- Have extensive experience with AWS (our primary cloud provider), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
You will stand out as a candidate if any of these apply to you:
- Demonstrated interest in using data and technology to advance social good in areas like health, education or civic engagement
- Expertise with configuration management tools like Ansible (which we use), Chef or Puppet
- Experience with containerization and cluster orchestration, specifically Docker and Mesos (which we use) or Kubernetes (which we do not but might soon)
- Experience automating cloud infrastructure with tools like CloudFormation and Terraform
- Familiarity with data processing platforms such as Spark and Kafka
We know that the best candidate may not fit neatly into the boxes we define here so if this sounds like a place you want to work, even if you're not confident you perfectly match our posting, we still encourage you to apply! We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Facebook page, Twitter, or Instagram.
BlueLabs was formed in early 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America analytics team. We help organizations personalize their engagements with individuals, optimize communications, and achieve their strategic goals. Our team includes more than 40 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Through our work, we’ve directly and measurably improved the health and financial security of millions of Americans.
Since 2013, we’ve served more than 300 organizations, run more than 1,000 randomized experiments, built hundreds of models, generated over 6 billion touch points, reached virtually every contactable person in the United States, and driven significant improvements in some of the highest-profile private sector, advocacy, and government programs around the world. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
Our clients range from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as global companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries.
BlueLabs is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in New York City.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity Policy:
BlueLabs believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful partner for our clients. We’re committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veterans status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.