VP of Operations
New York, NY /
Blueland is revolutionizing conventional cleaning and personal care products to eliminate the need for single-use plastic packaging, while prioritizing the planet and people. We believe that we should be able to have a clean home without sacrificing a clean planet and that sustainable choices should be effective, convenient, and affordable. We also believe that businesses need to be reconstructed to consider all stakeholders, not just profit.
We are a science-driven company with a pipeline of proprietary products that started with our cleaning sprays and hand soap (we hold over 40 patents and patents pending worldwide). To date, we’ve already helped divert more than 1 billion single-use plastic bottles from landfills and waterways. We were the 2nd fastest growing direct-to-consumer in 2020, and have built an engaged, passionate community of close to 410K Instagram followers. We’re proud to be a Certified B Corp - recognized for meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. We’re also Climate Neutral Certified along with many other certifications that help hold us accountable on our commitments to optimize our products for environmental and human health.
Blueland was featured on the Season 11 premiere of Shark Tank, securing an investment by Kevin O’Leary. Blueland is well-funded by top tier venture capital firms as well as notable investors including Gwyneth Paltrow, Justin Timberlake and founders of Sweetgreen, Thrive Market, Honest Company, Rent the Runway, and Bonobos. We’ve been featured across top tier outlets such as the New York Times, Fast Company, TechCrunch, VOGUE, Wall Street Journal, Inc., and more.
The Supply Chain & Operations team is seeking a well-rounded, innovative leader to become the first VP of Operations at Blueland. This is a unique opportunity to redefine conventional CPG operations in pursuit of our commitment to the planet and people as a mission-centric company while also delivering on the company’s revenue, margin and customer experience goals. The VP will oversee all aspects of Blueland’s operational strategy and execution as we rapidly scale our brick & mortar retail, Amazon and DTC. As a demonstrated leader in the CPG industry, this individual will play a key role in Blueland’s growth and profitability by successfully aligning the company’s operations with its overall business goals and objectives. You will directly lead the team overseeing end-to-end supply chain, planning, production, analytics, logistics and fulfillment. The VP will also lead and inspire a best-in-class team and culture that is rooted in our mission and values. It will be critical that the VP champions a “go further together” mentality, while working extremely well across all of Blueland’s functional teams, to creatively hit revenue, profit, and customer success goals. The VP of Operations will report to the Co-Founder/Chief Operating Officer.
- Serve as a strategic business partner to the two Founders and identify and assess growth opportunities as well as near-term and long-term operational priorities
- Direct oversight of analytics, merchant planning, demand & supply planning, sourcing, manufacturing, quality control, warehousing & distribution, technology implementation, and delivery functions
- Provide leadership in the transformation and optimization of the end-to-end supply chain to support the strategic growth aspirations of the company
- Monitor vendors, suppliers, and manufacturers to ensure that they are efficiently and effectively servicing in a cost-effective and sustainable manner with the highest levels of quality and innovation
- Manage supply chain relationships and identify near-term and long-term levers for margin expansion and other areas of competitive advantage
- Lead the production and sourcing teams to diversify and optimize, expanding into new regions and verticals as the company continues to grow
- Build and lead a robust demand and supply planning process that balances the optimal level of cash flow and inventory on hand, ensuring that Blueland can meet customer expectations without incurring unexpected costs
- Assess and implement improved processes and new technologies and collaborate with cross-functional teams regarding the implementation of these improvements
- Implement meticulous and data-driven forecasting and inventory planning methodology and systems with consistent performance to budget/spend to improve gross margin structure, shorten lead times, and create supply chain efficiencies
- Lead function and work cross-functionally to ensure the successful execution and commercialization of our products including but not limited to relevant market analysis, planning, architecting and overseeing QA/QC processes, launch hindsights and “always on" auditing of customer product experience
- Serve as the subject matter expert on all operational management related issues
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with the leadership team, team members across the company, Board members and other key external stakeholders
- 15+ years of experience in supply chain and operations roles across planning, sourcing, manufacturing, and/or logistics, with at least five years in a senior leadership position
- Passionate about the environment, sustainability and Blueland’s mission
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment, scaling an omnichannel business to ideally over $100M+ in annual revenue
- Demonstrated operational experience with distribution channels of business, including conventional grocery, natural / specialty grocery, convenience / drug, mass, and club retail (Costco, Meijer, Kroger, Target, Whole Foods, etc)
- Deep and broad operations experience; ability to understand and manage a complex organization at an incredibly detailed level and manage at multiple levels of the organizational structure
- In-depth knowledge of supply chain best practices and measurable success driving logistics, warehousing, eCommerce fulfillment, direct procurement, packaging, sourcing, and contract manufacturing management
- Expertise in inventory management and forecasting to drive appropriate business strategy and decisions
- Demonstrated experience partnering with Finance and Marketing and knows how functions interact to scale businesses sustainably
- Demonstrated ability in managing cost performance, supply/demand forecasting & distribution execution across a variety of product lines from multiple sources
- Track record of driving negotiations and implementing new processes, systems and tools to reduce cost to improve margin with 3PLs and vendor relationships
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated action-oriented, results-driven approach to quality, and to improving operations and quality metrics
- Excellent project management, communication, and people/organizational skills
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, and excel as a problem-solver in a dynamic, fast-paced, fluid environment
- Growth mindset with strong desire to build a disruptive value chain and business model
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and influencing skills to work effectively and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
The salary range for this position is $225,000 - $270,000 per year.
We prioritize our planet and our people. In addition to salary compensation, we offer various other benefits to ensure our team members can be their best self, both in and outside of work. Benefits for full time roles include: health benefits, stock options, generous paid time off, paid holidays, paid civic engagement days, paid parental leave, 401k (employee contribution), professional development stipends, remote work reimbursements, various discounts to like-minded companies and more.
At Blueland we believe in order to build a better future and planet, we must advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion. We are proud to have assembled a diverse team and strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every qualification.