Director of People
New York, NY /
People + Culture /
Blueland is revolutionizing conventional cleaning and personal care products to eliminate the need for single-use plastic packaging, while prioritizing the planet and people. We believe that we should be able to have a clean home without sacrificing a clean planet and that sustainable choices should be effective, convenient, and affordable. We also believe that businesses need to be reconstructed to consider all stakeholders, not just profit. We are a science-driven company with a pipeline of proprietary products that started with our cleaning sprays and hand soap (we hold over 40 patents and patents pending worldwide). To date, we’ve already helped divert more than 1 billion single-use plastic bottles from landfills and waterways. We were the 2nd fastest growing direct-to-consumer in 2020, and have built an engaged, passionate community of over 350K Instagram followers. We’re proud to be B Corporation Certified - recognized for meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. We’re also Climate Neutral Certified along with many other certifications that help hold us accountable on our commitments to optimize our products for environmental and human health. Blueland was featured on the Season 11 premiere of Shark Tank, securing an investment by Kevin O’Leary. Blueland is well-funded by top tier venture capital firms as well as notable investors including Gwyneth Paltrow, Justin Timberlake and founders of Sweetgreen, Thrive Market, Honest Company, Rent the Runway, and Bonobos. We’ve been featured across top tier outlets such as the New York Times, Fast Company, TechCrunch, VOGUE, Wall Street Journal, Inc., and more.
Blueland is hiring for a Director of People. In this role you’ll be responsible for developing all people-centered activities that align to Blueland’s mission and vision. This position will oversee recruiting, retention strategies, talent management, engagement, development and people compliance.
We’re looking for a people-focused individual who has experience jumping into all facets of HR and has a passion for Blueland’s mission. We’re a lean team so the ability to roll up your sleeves, dive into the weeds while still thinking big picture is a must! This role reports to the Co-Founder and COO of Blueland.
- Develop and execute on people strategies that aligns to the Blueland mission and vision
- Identify and support people related organizational needs; work with leadership to identify team challenges and talent gaps and develop strategies to address gaps
- Work with team members at all levels on various topics ranging from tactical day-to-day people related questions and concerns to career development, people management and employee relations topics
- Own day to day people compliance (EEO reporting, workplace compliance, anti-discrimination regulations, sexual harassment training, etc.)
- Own team engagement; conduct surveys, synthesize opportunities and implement solutions to enhance team member experience
- Own performance management activities including feedback and performance review cycles
- Develop and/or iterate on current people related processes, systems, programs, always leaning in with a DEI lens
- Manage 1 Recruiter; provide guidance throughout the recruiting process as necessary
- Understand L/D needs and own programming
- Manage and be point of contact for PEO relationship and other people related vendors
- Own People budget and annual people budgeting process
- Manage the in-office experience and facilities of the NYC office
- A passion for Blueland’s mission
- 5+ years in an HR/ People role (HR Generalist, HR Specialist, HR Consultant, or a similar role) preferably at an early stage start-up, supporting an exempt and non-exempt workforce
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal labor laws
- Prior experience within talent acquisition and knowledge of TA systems (Lever preferred)
- A record of developing and/or iterating on HR pillars with a DEI lens
- An ability to balance conflicting points of view to resolution
- A positive, professional demeanor
- Effective leadership traits
- Sound business judgment and an ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High attention to detail, with an ability to effectively organize and prioritize
*This is a hybrid position which requires 2 days on-site in our New York City office.
The salary range for this position is $140k-155k.
We prioritize our planet and our people. In addition to salary compensation, we offer various other benefits to ensure our team members can be their best self, both in and outside of work. Benefits for full time roles include: health benefits, stock options, generous paid time off, paid holidays, paid civic engagement days, paid parental leave, 401k (employee contribution), professional development stipends, remote work reimbursements, various discounts to like-minded companies and more.
At Blueland we believe in order to build a better future and planet, we must advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion. We are proud to have assembled a diverse team and strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every qualification.