Pricing Actuary - Innovation
San Francisco, CA /
Data Science /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
BlueOwl is looking for an experienced Actuary to join our pricing group. As a pricing actuary, you will be partnering closely with the data science, data engineering and pricing team to fine tune and innovate our existing pricing solutions to better match price to risks. You will be collaborating with the Director of Pricing to set pricing strategy and develop filing automation tools.
We are looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of doing the impossible and scaling a new insurance model at extraordinary speed. The right candidate will have an understanding of the insurance pricing principles, modeling techniques, state specific filing requirements, and be able to think differently to create value and capitalise on unrealised opportunities in the market. This is an unique opportunity to help launch pricing models for a brand that is likely to quickly gain a lot of national and global attention.
If this sounds like a match for you and what you are up to, please apply. We'd love to hear from you.
- Are self motivated and persistent to seek answers in a fast-paced startup environment
- Are familiar with the state specific filing requirements and can provide insights and solution for filing automation
- Are motivated to automate manual processes and develop tools for efficiency gains
- Have deep expertise in insurance pricing and data analytics
- Have experience modeling and launching insurance pricing models
- Have expertise in MS Office, SQL and Python
- Are comfortable reaching out and managing relationship with other stakeholders, business partners and regulators
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating effectively to your audience
- Are detail oriented
- Collaborate with the Engineering and Data Science team to provide indication and filing requirements to automate the pricing solution.
- Proactively research and evaluate data vendors and recommend new data sources to be used in the modeling process.
- Work with multiple stakeholders to gather rate and rule requirements that are needed for the product launch.
- Collaborate with the pricing director to review the pricing and telematics models, design template for product coverage offering and rate structures and develop tools for rating examples.
- Review filing requirements and prepare filings for regulatory authorities; this includes actuarial memo, indication, and modeling related supporting exhibits.
Skills & Background:
- BS/BA in Math, Statistics, Economics or similar
- ACAS or FCAS preferred
- Proficient in Python, SQL and Excel
- Experience with project management required
- Experience working with multiples states on P&C filings.
- Solid P&C experience and have had a significant role in building either pricing or underwriting models.
- Expertise in GLMs.
- Experience building models using Python
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of vacation + six weeks of parental leave, and great work-life balance. Our office building offers on-site shower and bike stalls, and panoramic views of San Francisco.
- Location: Due to COVID-19 our teams are all working remotely through 2020. We provide an in-home office set-up including laptop, monitor, ergonomic desk, chair and other items as needed
- Location: Post COVID-19: San Francisco, CA near Montgomery Bart Station
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf